Quote:

I have a 1966 Coronet 500, 318 poly, auto from factory now- no engine and set up for a 4spd. Bought a 413 for 200.00 then found out it was a motorhome engine. WTF- NO REFUNDS. Ok, so now its a budget rebuild with my son. I have 915 heads, Intake, distributor, car style water pump, bigger cam and lifters. Here are my questions:
1. Can I use the rocker arm assy's?
2. Can I use the push rods?
3. Can I use the oil pan?
4. It has a"thick" harmonic balancer, should I change this? Will belts line up?
5. Has a 6 hole crank, can I use my stock 4spd set up?
Thanks!

Hi 66 ... got your PM on this topic ...glad to help out.

FIRST ..... how clean is the inside of the motor? MOST I havwe seen are in good shape.... low miles plus when they are used they are worked hard - so very little sludge build-up.

Ok ...rockers are the same. P-rods .....are longer with the goofy heads. NO on the oil pan. The balancer ?.... is a really NICE PIECE ... but very true ... getting stuff to line-up is going to be a bummer. I am thinking about having a custom crank pulley made. Those are INTERNALLY balanced motors ....so a regular car balancer should just slip on. IF you did this ... the TC cover would also have to be changed.

That crank and your 4 speed ? ....IIRC .... the ones I remember looking at DID HAVE a bushing in there.

And as Double N said ..... these motors have patheticly LOW compression ratio. I would take those 915 heads and shave them 60 to 90.