Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've got a 70 Challenger SE 383 4 bbl carter, 330 horse, A/C auto and it's blue. It has HP manifolds. I may have a picture.

As it should!!

Just when I think I understand....
I've seen both the 330 HP and 335 HP listed in a plymouth guide where it explains the RR gets the 335 because of camshaft, windage tray, etc. In the Challenger guide I only see 1 383-4bbl listed, a 335 HP (standard in Challenger R/T). So the SE Challenger is considered 'non performance' and gets the 330 HP blue engine? And an R/T AC Challanger would get the orange 335 HP (yes, I think). Is it as simple as SE is 'non-performance' just like a 383-4bbl Sport Satellite is 'non-performance'? Yet all 4 bbls are N code. It's the build sheet that gives the engine and carb (my 70 AC orange 383 is 084 engine with 036 Holly Carb). How'd I do?

In the example you give above there is a lot of potential confusion.
It is confusing in itself about the SE designation. It was an option package on the CHARGERS but it is a MODEL designation on the CHALLENGER. There is a JH29 for the SE and a JS23 for the R/T and a JS29 for the R/TSE model. The JH29 with a 383-2 would be a 290 h.p. and both the JS23 and the JS29 would have the R/T (standard) 383-4 335 h.p. engine. SO, you could have an SE model Challenger with either engine.

Now there is MORE confusion. Look closely at this:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1970DealershipDataBook-05.shtml

When you look at engine options for the Challenger with the engine pictures it shows the 383-4 TWICE and the first one has a twin snorkle air cleaner which is usually a sign of a 330 h.p. the the second picture shows the 383-4 with the unsilenced air cleaner which is usually a sign of the 335 h.p. BOTH are listed as Magnum engines and both are rated at 335 h.p. HOWEVER, the descriptions are clearly different and they are two different engines and I believe a mis print for the h.p. rating.
However AGAIN, if you go to the standard and optional equipment page and look at the available engines it only list two 383s, the 383-2 290 h.p. and the 383-4 335. h.p. obviously a mistake SOMEWHERE in all of this.
There has been difficulty identifing 383-4s since 1968 because the V.I.N. designation and the fender tag engine codes were the same regardless of it being a 330 h.p. or a 335 h.p.

Are you TOTALLY confused now?

Last edited by 696pack; 02/14/13 03:56 PM.