Quote:

how should I check for the correct thickness intake gasket needed?feeler gages under the intake?
how would you do it?

I use a feeler gauge to check the intake manifold to head sealing surfaces and misalignment on the corners by setting the intake on the motor and use the feeler gauges on each corner at the top and bottom, IE left rear bottom might be .035, top rear left might be .003, LF top.060, LF bottom .000 and so on and then do same on the passenger side. I write the numbers on the intake manifold at each location and then have the manifold cut at a good Hi Po machine shop to make it fit square I like to have around .002 to .004 tapered to the top of the manifold so the manifold will pinch the intake gaskets tight at the bottom to help seal the intake pan fron the lifter galley As far as raising or lowering the intake mainifold for alignment to the ports your on your own, I do use the thin Fel Pro intake gasket (or thicker other brands )to help raise it as needed when needed. It is far better to have the intake port on the heads a little bit (.030+ per side)bigger than the intake manifold ports are Good luck

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)