Quote:

I am thinking about swapping a 5.7 hemi into my 67 belvedere station wagon. I was wondering if people that have swapped them into older stuff think it was worth it in the end. My car is a running driving 440 auto. I like taking it for rides with my kids but it gets terrible mpg and don't really make that much power. I would want to leave the hemi injected and would put a 518 behind it.

It's a big investment to save gas money. At the end of the day it's still 375 hp for a newer hemi. Case in point where do you drive and how far. On the highway my friends 512 charger got 17mpg on the highway with 3:55 gears 28" tires. In town not so much. My new challenger does 70mph at 1500 ish rpm. It's boring as all get out putting down the highway like this.

My main grpe about putting a newer engine in an old car is what happens if you break down? Most parts are custom like the spark controller or any sensor. How do you diagnose this and get back on the road? With old school technology most can get it going with basic hand tools.

My buddy drove older cars cross country with points because he knew he could fix them in twenty minutes. Only basic hand tools were all he took.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d