Quote:

....and let it push the fuel and you will never have an issue with it, or the injector pump.

Whistle blown.... PENALTY!! "improper use of the word "never"...." 5 yards!

...while I do agree that these pumps "may" be better suited back by the tank, that then subjects them to the weather, and gives you two more points where fuel can leak... and a VP can die with proper fuel volume fed to it. My truck is living proof. I've also replaced them (VP44's) with about every fuel system under the sun installed on them. Nothing like telling a customer they need an injection pump when he read on "diesel truck resource for lies" that his $600 FASS pump would without a doubt save his injection pump.

btw... my 01 still runs the stock style lift pump. I only changed the original out back in late 07 when the ULSD created a leak at the top diaphram. Cummins had a tsb to replace the diaphram with an updated material. I upgraded that pump and saved it for my "spare". The other has been on the truck since then. "yes"....I do run a fuel psi gauge to keep an eye on it.

...and to the original poster. if you prime your fuel filter with the "bump starter" method, your fuel canister should be full. I'd still be checking that lift pump.