Quote:

I don't know about stronger or cheaper.

That's a relavent statement.

A fairly stock 727 with a good drum that will not blow up with a sprag failure can handle about 600 lbs of torque with no problem. The next step is the gearset. An aftermarket or deisel truck one will withstand about anything. So depending on your skill or cost of your transmission guy you can build a 727 that will withstand any Race Mopar I know of for about $2,000 in parts.

A stock powerglide will handle 600 lbs of torque. Then it is input shaft, planetary, pump, output housing to handle about 800 lbs of torque. Then add more clutches aftermarket case tailhousing. You can easily spend $2,500 in parts.

The powerglide has the same individual clutch area as a 904. In fact the 8 clutch packs are 904 clutches. But, the clutches being smaller take less HP and their are no drums changing directions on the shift. So many argue that powerglides are faster. Depends light car with a wide powerband. Absolutely powerglide. High winding or narrow powerband, heavy car. 727 more gears.

Their is nothing wrong with either transmission if built properly. I run a glide because it is shorter in length. The 727 will not easily fit my chassis modifications. Otherwise that is exactly what would be in my car.

Would not dream of running a 2.94 with a torqueflite. 3.7 maybe. If you don't like a 2.44 first gear. Switch to something else like a 2.28, 2.05 or put a glide in the car. But, a car can be tuned for a 2.44 gear and a rear gear that will make the finish line.

Leon

I would add that the converter is usually going to be much more critical on a powerglide as far as the combination goes, and in applications like Comp the 727 has been found to be at least a tenth (seem to remember two) faster due to the narrow powerband. If I was building a BB powered dragster or tube car, I would absolutely go with a glide. It would just be more consistent. If I was running class legal/heads up with a SB or a 99Hemi and had to run an auto (and wasn't tire limited), I would likely go with a 727.