They probally move when the piston is changing direction and that takes the preload off of the rings when the pistons stop and reverse direction I have taken motors apart that I staggered the rings in after breaking the in cam and lifters and 30+ dyno pulls, them dang rings weren't in the same positions as I installed them in :shrugg:I have seen some of the top and second rings aligned perfectly after dyno testing, some of the oil ring expanders close to being aligned but none of had all the rings aligned perfectly in one cylinder Life goes on OP, I stagger mine in thirds, no particular method as long as there is a stagger Normally I will align the oil rings over the wrist pin and have the second ring 120 degrees away from the top oil ring, have the ring gap on the top ring 240 degrees away from the second ring gap I think if the rings didn't move around we would see grooves worn into the cylinders from where the ring gaps stayed I haven't seen any block that way except in a rebuilt motor with a broken ring

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)