Quote:

Quote:

from an article on a 360 magnum in hot rod a couple of months ago...

it said that you have to match the gasket to the pan otherwise big leak from unsupported area..

that is a magnum gasket with magnum pan...la gasket with la pan....the combo will fit all 360 engines...

copied this from hot mag...

Oil Pan Interchange
At the bottom end, the Magnum engines all use the LA-series 360 rear oil-pan relief. Any 360 oil pan will bolt to a Magnum. However, a non-Magnum pan cannot use the Magnum one-piece oil-pan gasket, as the early LA-series pans are notched at each side of the rear relief, while the Magnum is not. A non-Magnum pan will require the LA-series 360 oil-pan-gasket set.

written by Steve Dulcich

I tried to use a magnum gasket twice on my 5.9 with a LA pan. Could not stop the oil spray out of the front at high RPM. I finally put the LA gasket back on the pan and never had that problem again. But hey, I have only been putting my engines together for 25 years. I may be missing something.

Since it sounds like I may be sitting on a time bomb... I'm curious. After re-reading this twice, Steve says the problem is at the rear, you say you had problems at the front too. Is this correct?

Last edited by flatlinedude; 10/15/08 03:55 PM.

Carol: "Wow! He's really fast, isn't he?!" John: "Yeah... but he's stupid."