Quote:

sounds good! so what do i need to do, buy an old points distributor and put the petronix kit in it, drop the distributor in the engine and remove the ballast and ecu from the car? will the distributor plug up to the car the same as the electronic one did? seems like i will have to rewire the car..?

with the stock elect dist set up,just swaping the dist out with a points style,the black points wire goes to the -side of coil removing the stock elect -wire from coil.leave elect dist plug undone/taped up. I have to readjust points every 3-6 months to keep it starting with a flick of the key.change them 1x a yr.

going to a pertronix conversion,i just pick up a reman points dist from autozone for 30 bux or so. then the pertronix Ignitor I with a flamethrower 40,000 volt chrome coil-1.5 ohm. install in the dist/set airgap with supplied plastic feeler gauge and drop it in.

red wire to +side of coil with the stock keyed power wire.

black wire to -side of coil plus the green tach wire if you have it.

put a jumper in place of the BR or gut the shell and hide the by-pass so it looks like you still have it.

set timing and forget it. I replace cap.plugs.wires about 3-4 yrs

it has got a hot spark and revs to 15,000 rpm.

I just got a pertronix Ignitor I (kit-MA187) conversion and flamethrower chrome coil for the Mallory duel point dist i got from RapidRobert a while back.(RR- I fried a set of those points trying to set the gap)

on my 88 440 truck I have the ecu uplugged and removed,BR by-passed and just taped up the empty ecu plug and hide behind fender brace.

they are simple to hook up and work flawless. I have never had a reason to try the Ignitor II or III kits or the ready to run dist they sell. I have used 15-20 ignitor I and chrome coils fixing a lot of 5th aves/mopars with elect or points dist for other people when they have ign troubles.

it may cost a few bux to swap it over but the old "let me down" ecu stock elect crap is a thing of the past.