A number of years BEFORE 9/11, I had found, through some research, that the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), which today has several regional offices, has access to VIN records on file in the form of microfiche (for older models), for ALL vehicles at least as far back as the musclecar era. The info showed the selling dealer, their address, dealer code, and the exact date that the car was delivered to the dealership. Since I had brokered the sale of a large number of cars during this period, I was curious as to what dealers through which they had been sold, and this prompted me to do a bit of detective work in order to have the correct info to have accurate reproduction window stickers created.

I was fortunate in that based on the way I had presented my request with the Bureau (for historical data only, etc.), I had developed a friendly rapport with one of the administrative assistants, and she, after taking note of the VIN numbers, would ask me to stay on hold for about 10-15 minutes so she could retrieve the info. A well placed gift of flowers would follow each reply for this info.

This assistant had ultimately moved on to another career, and subsequent calls were answered by more senior people in the Bureau, who had informed me that the information was still in its archives, but because of higher security levels, the only way this information would be released would be through law enforcement agencies or insurance companies. Through contacts I had, I used this option a few times, and was successful. But fast forward to 2013, I would doubt that a request from a private citizen, and subsequently ANY positive response would be offered by calling the NICB directly, so I would not waste any effort to do so. If you have contacts in law enforcement, try "pleading your case" to see if they will do you a favor. They would have to probably make the request from the NICB based on an investigation they are conducting. If your contact is in a supervisory position with an insurance company, they would need to provide their license number when making an inquiry, which would certainly have to be based on theft or some kind of fraud investigation.

Good Luck!

Bill Rolik

bremotorsports@verizon.net

www.billrolikenterprises.com