Quote:

why do u have to use a resistor on the GM alt? do u have to get it at radio shack?

Dunno about radio shack anymore..alot of them don`t carry much in the way of components anymore...But there are several electronics supplys on line (digikey, Mouser, Etc) or maybe a local to you that will have it.

There has to be some resistance in that line be it a bulb or resistor, or the regulator dies.....that wire does double duty...it is the "turn on" sense for the regulator and also provides a ground for the idiot light when a no charge condition exhists

I did the resistor simply due to the fact that i didn`t need the "idiot" light and for simplicitys sake I just used my exhisting field wire (blue switched 12 volts) that way the only extra wire I had to run was the 8 to the battery.

The Nippendenso made deal that feets is talking about is an externally regulated unit (by the PCM originally) and can be used with the original regulator and works great also.... altho I think the GM has a bit more output at idle it is a minor difference and in most cases probably wouldn`t be noticed.

Either will be a great upgrade from the original chrysler piece of garbage. Whatever you do tho..just make sure you don`t try to use you original alternator output wiring by itself (wire off of the stud) it will not take the current of any of these higher output alternators, It is a must to run the output directly to the battery thru a fuse or fuselink.

Rick

Blown71X V2.0 under construction 71 Cuda 383 4-SPD (maybe for sale) 2010 Challenger B5 Classic