Quote:

Technically, the trunk floor is not a proper mount, there should be a bar or tabs off the frame rail for the bolts pass thru.

Also, the boat battery box is an acceptable cover (with 3/8" bolts to the frame for the battery itself) as long as there is a proper firewall between the trunk and the drivers compartment.

2012 Rule book
Quote:

8:1 BATTERIES
All batteries must be securely mounted; must be of sufficient capacity to start vehicle at any time. Batteries may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch steel or .032-inch aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is relocated in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch steel, .032-inch aluminum, or NHRA-accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery and must be vented outside of body. Relocated battery(s) must be fastened to frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8-inch-diameter bolts. OEM located batteries without complete OEM hold-down hardware must be secured to OEM battery box/tray using the same 3/8-inch diameter bolt hold-down method described in previous sentence. (“J” hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.) Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements), is permitted. Maximums may vary according to Class Requirements.

My question is, why is the battery on the left side of the trunk? Most cars have the battery on the right side to add a little extra weight to the passenger side of the car to help "pre-load" the right tire for more even traction. Is this a ladder bar car or leaf spring? If it is ladder bar, the pre-load can be set with the bars. On a leaf spring setup, I would think the left placement of the battery would tend to drive the car to the right on the launch.

Scott

Basically I did what it says as the battery tray is in the box bolted thru the box to the floor and the battery is bolted down with a battery hold down. I guess thats what I was trying to say before.

The actuall reason its on the left side is I got the battery cable free from a buddy as things were tight when I did it and it was not long enough to reach the right side. Really did not matter to me as its a street car and I really dont notice it on launch. I wanted to put it on the right side but this saved me money and I wanted the battery in some kind of box since I put many things in my trunk that I did not want any battery acid getting on. Thanks , Ron

Last edited by 383man; 11/02/12 09:17 PM.