Quote:

they also have a replacement snout that is not only thicker but has a larger radius at the bottom of the drive slots, that is how my new one is done, but the newer style with the flats is interesting to me, I believe Ford used that style for years.

This is another one of the best kept secrets that for some reason nobody seems to have caught on to. I know I've personally posted this quite a few times myself. These 904/A500 pump gears with the flats instead of the drive tabs came out in the early 90's.

One of the inherent flaws of the lugs can be partially corrected - by shimming the converter back into the pump, so the tabs on the pump gear go deeper into the slots on the converter pump drive (snout). Most of the drive hubs I saw cracked or broken showed that the lugs were towards the outside end of the slot. While I try to make it so you only pull the converter forward about 1/16" to the flexplate, sometimes at that depth the weld that holds the drive stub on is poor and will tear up the seal.

And as others have said - there are redesigned (tab style) drive stubs and pump gears, but they are more pricey than the stock "flats" style parts.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........