On my 70 Swinger...I did the conversion, using a 73 Swinger disc car as a donor.

I kept the original 70/V-8 K member and just ordered a new Moog pitman, new idler, new adjusters and tie rod ends---for a 70 Swinger.(Some opt for C body Ties are they are beefier) Ordered a polygraphite kit from PST,for a 70 Dart--- along with all new Moog balljoints, all the way round, for a 73 Dart as the Upper ball joints are larger(Reason why you can't use the original 70-72 UCA's anyway), Moog OEM style LCA bushing(the one that's a pain to remove)--vs using Poly there. The poly in the LCA bushing is a potluck affair....some have luck, others do not.

Parts used from the 73 donor were basically just the upper and lower control arms, strut rods, the spindles + the prop. valve. I also used the 73's power brake setup, as my car was drum as well. You can do just as well with just a manual disc master cylinder and Mopar Performance and others sell an adjustable brake rod for the brake pedal. I didn't have to use the 73 lower control arms, but my both the 73 LCA's and 70 LCA's were without swaybar tabs at all, so opted for the 73 arms for my assurance. I found some 71 LCA's that were bent, but the original swaybar tabs were still intact, so cut off and welded them onto the 73 LCA's. Since these swaybar "tabs" were mounted/welded in like the earlier A bodies(outboard of the arms themselves), I had to mount the caliper's rearward. I put in an original OEM sway setup. If I'm not mistaken, the earlier A bodies with the "original" 4 piston Kesley-Hayes front disc setups, also had their calipers rear mounted. The later A bodies(73 up) had a shorter Swaybar than the earlier A's and thus they mounted the swaybar tabs more inboard on the Lower Control arms. That coupled with the sway actually passing thru the K, rather in front of it as on the earlier A's... allowed forward facing single piston calipers.

Caliper wise....I found for me that 80 Volare' calipers and hoses seemed to work best, but you have to file out the hose brackets slightly to fit the hoses. Ya have to have the bleeder as high as possible on the caliper, and some of the later Dart calipers didn't seem to work well for me--think I tried a 76 Dart caliper, either way..the 80 Volare hose/caliper seemed to me, the best way to go. Someone advised me to try the 80 Volare stuff....seems good to me.

I ordered new rotors, bearings, pads, brake hardware kit, etc.

I used the 73 strut rods for 2 reasons. 1..the washers seem larger for the 73-vs-70. Even though both the 70/73 strut rods are the same length/thickness, etc....the 70 has fine thread(which would be stronger I quess)..but with using poly strut rod bushings, the 70 strut rod setup would not squeeze down far enough to place in those "safety roll pins". The 73 strut rods seems to have that hole drilled further up, so I went that route and put in the pins. I quess I could have just redrilled the 70 strut rods though.

In the attachment...this is a 80 Volare' hose, with a 76 Dart caliper. Notice how low the bleeder is, which caused me some headaches trying to get my brakes to bleed properly. Put in the 80 Volare calipers(noted in pict where the 80 volare's bleeder is to the 76 Dart caliper)..and all went well.

Last edited by KingMopar; 09/18/04 05:46 PM.