JohnRR:

If your 2500 is the same as the 1/2's, it's a special puller with a die on the end of it that fits the seal perfectly and pulls it in. I tried making my own tool with the old seal but I pooched it and pulled it in sideways. Might have worked if I had a helper hold the tool end still while I tightened it up, but I tried to do it myself.

So, off to the dealer for new seal and this time I asked to borrow their tool and they gladly said "yes". Best piece of advice: get the tool from the dealership.

The entire gory adventure is still fresh in my mind from just a short while ago:

Link.

*Edit* John, they aren't a pain to put the axles back in, but there is dirt and what not in the axle tube and if you touch it with the splines, it gets stuffed into the seal and ruins the rubber.

StHemi: Not sure what the shop was trying to tell you: all you do is rotate the axle stub a bit and clunk, in it goes. The CAD is just a sliding, splined washer connected to the shift fork. Very simple, and is better left un-engaged.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".