The new VR (NAPA - Echlin brand - $29) came with a sheet that had this test:

Disconnect VR, connect jumper wire to FIELD side of harness that goes to the VR. Start car, watch amp gauge while grounding the jumper wire momentarily. Needle should jump to the right, if it does not, problem is somewhere in the wiring.

Needle moved to the right, so that was good.

Also, I checked and re-checked all the wiring, and could not see any problems anywhere.

Installed new VR, started car, revved engine, needle pegged to the right, then settled down to around +10 to +15 and stayed there, so I don't know, maybe it's OK now. But the needle used to just stay steady slightly to the right of zero.

One other possible clue I should have mentioned, when I start the car the temp gauge spikes to the right for a second, then goes back to normal. Has been doing that off and on for years, but does it more here lately.

I'll play with it some more this weekend and remove the instrument cluster to check the back, but still would like to hear any more ideas.

I also like the idea of the MAD conversion.
I looked into that a couple of years ago but didn't get around to buying the stuff and doing the install.
I'm exploring Mark's site (madelectrical.com) but cannot find exactly what I remember from when I read up on it before. Do you have a link?

I thought there was something in moparts Tech Archives about the MAD conversion but could not find it there either.

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas so far.