Quote:

Last spring I removed my MP .590 cam, and mildly (non-professionally) ported 915 heads, and replaced them with a set of the Edelbrock Victor heads and a used Comp Cams roller that I have had for a couple years (see attachment for specs). Also installed a set of the Hughes offset rockers (1.6 ratio) to go with the new heads. The intent was to gain a few MPH from my 447 low-deck in Super Gas (throttle-stop) racing. The old combo would run 137-138 in Denver, with a best of 150 in Topeka. Although I haven't had time to really flog this new setup, the initial outings are not very impressive, with speeds of 139 in Denver. I swapped out my 4:30 gears for a set of 4:56s, which netted 100-200 more RPM in the lights, and no difference in MPH. I realize that the 850 DP carb may be a little on the small side for what I am trying to do, and the cam being degreed at 106 is not the best (wanted to retard it some, but I couldn't cut valve reliefs as deep as I wanted because of the close proximity to the top ring land). Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.FWIW--I know that low-end and mid-range have improved because I have added .3 to .4 to my throttle-stop timer.

And your mph got better last weekend in Denver.. The DA was around 9400-9700' all weekend.

I would say you are doing fine..

Run it all out, then see the difference.. And put the 4.30's back in, or maybe even 4.10's..

Bigger carb?? Yes.. Most likely more mph..:tounge:

If I remember, your car is light..

Chris..