ive been reading along...and if i base my conclusion on what has been stated here ...I would come up with the complete wrong impression of a roller cam.
the tradition for rollers in racing in the beginning was to fill the need for going ultra agressive...so that created the roller cams reputation..
however...if you get a cam turned for your specific application. then throw this montra out the window "roller cams are best suited for high rpm application" that statement/mindset is misleading.
the roller lifter opens up the valve lift profiles to dimensions not avail in a flat tapit.
this means Torgue ..you can build in torque..you can build in low lift or low rpm performance.
id venture to say...take what you can do with a flat tappet for whatever your application...and add a %20 better results with the roller lifter over what you did with the flat tappit...its geometry and mathmatics plain and simple...
the only negative factor to add (as stated) is lifter weight...but honestly that only applies in higher or extreme applications...and can be designed around..
for what your doing...you will see definate gains..just dont base your new roller cam choice on flat tappit profiles...get a roler profile that best suits your heads flow graph and valve lift limitations..
fwiw..

my advice with your sinario is get a set of doug herbert roller lifters and do up a roller cam for your application get oil pump drive ..use the springs herbert recomends.
.and go faster than you went last yr....

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]