Quote:

Quote:

Maybe a little OT but did you guys ever hear about adding a quart of 30wt. engine oil to your trans fluid? I remember reading an article in Chrysler Power mag about 20 years ago that some race builders say that ATF does not lubricate enough to keep the rollers and bushings from seizing and galling
Sorry for the hi-jack but you don't see too many threads about ATF on here.
Gus

Hogwash , millions of 833's were built by Mopar and filled with ATF and they are 100% fine with it ....

Using type F in a transbrake trans I had thrust washers going away very quickly. I rollerized the trans and can run type F now without issue.
A race trans can easily use Dexeron provided the power going through it isn't extreme, (less than 800 hp?) and the thrust washers will appreciate the extra lube. Usually by the time you get to that power level the trans is rollerized anyway.
The factory wanted lube in there for a reason, and I don't argue with the original engineers requirements without knowing exactly what and why I am changing something. The same applies with adding motor oil to type F. You now have an unknown combination, which may be sliprior than standard Dex!
As for slippage, the extra holding isn't really needed till the shift points and torque get really high. A stock trans with a tight torque converter shifting at WOT has to drag a very heavy rotating assembly down a lot of rpm, which means a very big load put on it. I would love to see an engineering type do the math on a stock Hemi shifting at 6000+ rpm and dropping back to say 4500 rpm versus my lighter 528 with all aluminum drum trans shifting at 7100 and only having to pull the motor back to 6600. I bet the stock hemi deal has a tougher situation!

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky