Quote:

Yeah... THAT was helpful.

Yeah, but true. We're almost as bad as California and i really do hate it here...

First off, there are a few shops around here that will test you for $5-10 as often as you want. They dont have every single number you may need, but you can at least know when you're wasting your time. I've used one here several times for this exact reason, probably saved me a lot ov money.

Second, you didn't answer a question above: Did that truck come with cats? If it did, you're kinda pissing up a tree trying to make to pass without. Run a different exhaust for emission tests... on a truck it could literally be a 4ft long one-piece off the engine, into one big cat and out the side... on and off in minutes.

Third. Always crank up the idle to absolute max. Ours here is 1150RPM. Any more at idle and they wont test it. I see some guys having trouble idling in there at 600, which to me at least seems like unnecessarily hamstringing yourself. Put something in the tank, like many here have offered, along with 94 octane from the pump, and make damn sure ALL your older gas is out ov there, if you have any. Tune it lean. The 210 thermo is a neat trick, might have to try that one.

I'm definitely no expert on this stuff... but i've passed some serious junk through ours over the years. Some places wont test you (on the rollers at least) if you have studded tires. Hmmm...

I'll be dealing with my own emissions demons soon enough... trying to decide whether to install my fat stinky cam in the engine before i dump it in the car. It'll vastly save me grief installing and breaking in a cam in the car, only to replace them with emissions grief trying to 'tune' it through...