Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark I don't see or remember seeing anything about this ...

You have a stock point distributor wit ha pertronics installed , correct ? Have you made any changes it to it to limit mechanical advance ? If the answer is no you want to keep your initial timing to no more than 5 degrees because the distributor has too much mechanical advance in it ....

This of course is after you figure out the cam timing issue .

Yeah, stock distributor with pertronix ignitor installed... I have not changed anything else within the distributor. Ain't no way it would idle at anything close to 5 degrees unless something drastic changes

how about a SBC swap? LOL

Mark , stock distributors have 30-32 degrees of mechanical advance , you can't set initial to anymore than 5 or it's going to ping like crazy.

That's just a stock replacement set , not guarantee it's dots are correct, borrow a degree wheel and check it .

John, at this point total timing is the least of his worries. Just adds to the confusion. He's going to require altering the mechanical advance when this idle issue is solved.

Those compression test numbers are horrible unless that thing is in the 7:1 range. If the engine was a 9:1 static it should have about 140-155psi if everything was installed correctly.

Mark, I had one of those timing sets that when the dots were lined up, my cam was 8 degrees retarded from where it should have been. I know that this is frustrating for you. Stay with it. The engine will run good once you get things right.