Quote:

I'd like to see someone with one of these older orange boxes do a back to back at the track with something else , even a current chrome box.

I never tried it at the track when I ran the MP boxes on my cars,but I have done back to back dyno pulls.
My old orange box(mid 80's unit) runs exactly the same as a chrome box I bought in 2000. The orange box I bought around 2000 runs differently.
Different coils and different ditributor's pick up coil signals make a big difference on how any of them work.
I am testing several other boxes against them all. I hope to write an article on all these very soon.
Keith

i did some back to back tests at the track and on a chassis dyno. this was a near stock 440 with a 6-pak and auto trans. there wasn't any difference in box changes or an aftermarket ignition. i used to build a bracket 470 for some poor boys. they ran 10.00's with one of my homemade factory distributors and an LX101 box. put an MSD7 with an MSD distributor in it and it ran 10.00's. this is why i don't buy any of the ignition gadgets, especially MSD. besides, i've seen too many 6al's blow up and i don't want to be stuck along side the road. these "wonder" ignitons are only as good as the old ignition is bad. the only time i can see to run the MSD is in a bracket car that needs some electronic gadgetry to make it work.