Quote:

"I never said I didn`t respect him. Fiery competitor. I put him in the same class with Chad Knauss; A genius, but playing a little loose with the rules. Grump was one of the guys who pitched heads up S/S to NHRA,& when he couldn`t stay competitive,he broke every rule they had. NHRA went along with it & killed Hemi development for 25 years. Nascar saw NHRA was healthy without Mopar & they hosed us too.Wonder what that cost chevrolet ? At the 2001 gathering to celebrate the 50th birthday of the Hemi,Wally Parks apologized to Tom Hoover for killing the Hemi. In retrospect,maybe I blame Grump for what happened to Pro Stock. Look at the 70-71 cars; Nothing that exciting since."

I agree with everything you said...but he was still an innovator. As far as him being responsible for NHRA's shafting the Hemis...I agree. I still think the car was illegal because, basically, it was a chassis car and at that time the NHRA rules specifically disallowed chassied cars. But, because he was in a Chevy, they let him pull it off.

X2