Quote:

I was actually wondering something similar. I have added some aftermarket guages and stereo that draw power from the keyed 12v slot on the fuse box (female spade connector). Just last week I added a pair of electrical fans and dumped the mechanical, and it had to be hooked up to a keyed 12v source and the only one that I know of is the one that the other items are hooked to so I put it there. Now I've been thinking about it I dont like how much current is being drawn thru that one keyed 12v port when the fans kick on. Where else can I find another keyed source for 12 volts? Or what can I do to safely create a new keyed 12v port, or even upgrade my current one to be able to handle that kind of draw?

I havent had any issues but I have only run the car long enought to verify proper functioning of the fans going on and off at the proper preset temps. I dont want to burn my car up. Any suggestions?

Hope Im not hijacking

Thanks
roe

Ideally, fans should not be switched only, they should be triggered by a temp sensor. It's too easy to forget to turn them on and if you aren't paying attention...you know the rest. That sensor should trigger a relay that will supply direct battery voltage to your fans, protected with fuses/breaker/fus link, whatever your preference. Heavy duty stuff like fans tend to spike when initially turned on so a breaker might be best. I use fuses and haven't had an issue though. You could rig up a switch to override the temp sensor to run the fans even after you shut it down to help cool off those underhood temps...this will kill your battery if your not careful but is convenient after waiting in bumper to bumper traffic getting into a cruise or show.