Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are torque plates suppose to mimic a cylinder head. What I'm trying to ask is that the head bolts are of different length because of the thickness of the cylinder head. Do the torque plates need to mimic this.
Matt

Matt, the torque plate should mimic the distortion of the cylinder walls as closely as possible. the depth of the faster in the block does influence amount of distortion, that's the reason the bolt holes are countersunk into our torque plates.
i recently test a R-3 block to measure distortion and found .0016-.0017 near the top of the cylinder after bolting on a pair of edelbrock heads. i removed the heads and bolted the torque plate on and the distortion was again .0016-.0017
the use of a torque plate undoubtedly results in round cylinders during the honing process and results in much improved ring seal. better seal, more horsepower.

With the plate bolted on, do you hone with or without the same style head gasket to be used in final assembly? I've seen some manufacturers recommend "not" using a gasket for honing, which I can't imagine why, so I've always told my engine builders to use a gasket.

the gasket facilitates the plate and block to move independently from each other, so i highly recommend it's use. i do prefer to use the same bore size gasket as well as the same type that will be run whenever possible.

stacking washers under a bolt doesn't even come close to what a proper torque plate does. i've tested that theory on a number of blocks and it simply doesn't work. I'd probably look for a different shop if i were you.

machine shop owner and engine builder