Moparts

My new Torque plate from Performance only!

Posted By: Dodgem

My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 12:10 AM

Pictures and an action youtube. I would really like to thank Dan at Performance Only service packaging and shipping all worked out great only thing my machinist complained about is that it is too shinny and lights glare off it! :-) And it is hard to take pictures of

http://youtu.be/mH5IIEMa6rw

Posted By: Labratt

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 12:40 AM

SWEEEET! Where are my sunglasses???

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 02:15 AM

That's my machinists complaint to much glare off it! sure is pretty and nice and lite.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 03:14 AM

Who would have thought that a torque plate could be pretty? That's one fine looking slab of aluminum!
Posted By: yella71

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 03:24 AM

.... can I borrow that? Ill bring it right back when im done...
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 03:37 AM

BLING
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 01:56 PM

Nice

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/18/12 06:47 PM

Thanks I'll have to make it a wall show piece in the garage once the motor is finished.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/19/12 06:49 PM

Barry, thanks for the kind words. i have the same problem trying to get decent pictures of those things. i solved that problem by having some of them hard anodized in different colors. the black has been very popular here locally but red and blue also look great, especially after they're engraved. the hard anodizing makes clean up easier and helps to eliminate scratches too.
sadly i don't have any pictures of those right now i could post. when i do i'll be sure to post them though.
we'll be making runs of the bigblock, smallblock and gen 3 hemi's again very soon. we sold out of every one of those in very short order twice now.
i've been getting a lot of requests locally for the GM LS motors and even a few from Mopar guys.
it's always nice to get feedback, especially from the owner AND his machinist.
Posted By: MattW

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/19/12 08:52 PM

Are torque plates suppose to mimic a cylinder head. What I'm trying to ask is that the head bolts are of different length because of the thickness of the cylinder head. Do the torque plates need to mimic this.
Matt
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/19/12 09:04 PM

Quote:

Are torque plates suppose to mimic a cylinder head. What I'm trying to ask is that the head bolts are of different length because of the thickness of the cylinder head. Do the torque plates need to mimic this.
Matt

no

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/19/12 09:51 PM

Quote:

Matt

Matt, the torque plate should mimic the distortion of the cylinder walls as closely as possible. the depth of the fastener in the block does influence amount of distortion, that's the reason the bolt holes are countersunk into our torque plates.
i recently test a R-3 block to measure distortion and found .0016-.0017 near the top of the cylinder after bolting on a pair of edelbrock heads. i removed the heads and bolted the torque plate on and the distortion was again .0016-.0017
the use of a torque plate undoubtedly results in round cylinders during the honing process and results in much improved ring seal. better seal, more horsepower.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/19/12 10:21 PM

The thread depth needs to be engaged all the way...yes, but he was asking the bolt length I believe. 4 inch 8 inch and such. Make sure the head bolt holes are bottom tapped and clean for full thread engagement.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/19/12 10:31 PM

I thought with bling like that only thing you could do with it is put it on a gold chain and hang it around you neck
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

Matt, the torque plate should mimic the distortion of the cylinder walls as closely as possible. the depth of the faster in the block does influence amount of distortion, that's the reason the bolt holes are countersunk into our torque plates.
i recently test a R-3 block to measure distortion and found .0016-.0017 near the top of the cylinder after bolting on a pair of edelbrock heads. i removed the heads and bolted the torque plate on and the distortion was again .0016-.0017
the use of a torque plate undoubtedly results in round cylinders during the honing process and results in much improved ring seal. better seal, more horsepower.

With the plate bolted on, do you hone with or without the same style head gasket to be used in final assembly? I've seen some manufacturers recommend "not" using a gasket for honing, which I can't imagine why, so I've always told my engine builders to use a gasket.
Posted By: 74-440Charger

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 02:46 AM

Are the plates used in the boring,honing or both operations? "Machine shops" around here don't/won't use plates, not even if I buy it. They say all you need to do is "torque down the bolts under a stack of washers, if I want to go to the trouble". I am still looking for a machine shop!
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 04:35 AM

74-440Charger:
Well, since you're in Florida, just try to see if you can have "Performance Only" do the machining
I'm sure you'll be happy.

Ran
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 04:56 AM

im not buying one till i see skulls engraved in the plate

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 04:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

Matt, the torque plate should mimic the distortion of the cylinder walls as closely as possible. the depth of the faster in the block does influence amount of distortion, that's the reason the bolt holes are countersunk into our torque plates.

With the plate bolted on, do you hone with or without the same style head gasket to be used in final assembly? I've seen some manufacturers recommend "not" using a gasket for honing, which I can't imagine why, so I've always told my engine builders to use a gasket.

the gasket facilitates the plate and block to move independently from each other, so i highly recommend it's use. i do prefer to use the same bore size gasket as well as the same type that will be run whenever possible.

stacking washers under a bolt doesn't even come close to what a proper torque plate does. i've tested that theory on a number of blocks and it simply doesn't work. I'd probably look for a different shop if i were you.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 05:01 AM

Quote:

Are the plates used in the boring,honing or both operations? "Machine shops" around here don't/won't use plates, not even if I buy it. They say all you need to do is "torque down the bolts under a stack of washers, if I want to go to the trouble". I am still looking for a machine shop!

and keep looking untill you find one that won't do it without the plate and Performance Only come's to my mind, since he seem's to be in your part of the country.

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 06:14 AM

Not familiar with his shop, he's about 12 hours south from me. But I need to give him a call.

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 06:43 AM

Quote:

Not familiar with his shop, he's about 12 hours south from me. But I need to give him a call.

you must be in the western panhandle to be 12 hours away. i think i could almost be in Virginia in 12 hours from here. let me know if there's anything i can help you with.

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 07:34 AM

Yes, Panama City. I have a 440 that needs to be redone for strong street strip duty, going through the body now. Will give you a call when it's time for the motor.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 03:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, Panama City. I have a 440 that needs to be redone for strong street strip duty, going through the body now. Will give you a call when it's time for the motor.

you won't be sorry..
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 04:48 PM

Does it make any difference if the plate is aluminum and you are using iron heads?

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 06:28 PM

I don't think it makes much difference but the aluminum one is way easier on the back!

Re: My new Torque plate from Performance only! - 02/20/12 06:47 PM

Just as a note way back in time (1992) my machinist (new to me then) talked me into going from .040 over to .060 over so we could smooth out my bores from not having a torque plate. He had one so I went in after the motor was bored and he showed me how nice and round the cylinders were. then he bolted on the torque plate and he showed me how much that pushed the cylinders out of round! Then showed me how they now honed out straight. he too wants the head gasket you will be using nice I went bigger bore head gasket two years ago so they are the ones 1105 I'll be using so I have used ones to use!
So the only change I made was the + 4 cubic inches and we went up .5 in compression 10 to 1s to 10.5 (or standard 10 to 1's to 10.5 six barrel pistons) same cam heads and all and it ran at least .55 better all the time so I was sold! So if you give .15 to .2 to the little raise in compression and cubes the .4 to .35 was from better sealing bores!!!
Since Dan's looked so pretty and I could not talk him into boring his plate out from 4.380 to the 4.5+ I need now I bit the bullet for a real nice piece!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums