So...Got over crying in my sake, and got back on the job.
Got what was supposed to be a low mile 78 creampuff 360 truck motor, from a friend, for 200.If it wasn't so bad it would be funny.Some cro magnon resized the conn rods so they are just about ALL .002 out of round SIDEWAYS!
The crank is cut .020 on the rods only.
(not one but TWO resizing stamps on the crank, one says "R .010 11/87" then ANOTHER says "R.020 1/88", somebody had issues with their rebuild...)
But all is not lost.Block shows very little bore wear, like .001, no ridge. Crank is .020 on the rods, and is spec.
I am thinking S.I.R. rods because it's the least expensive way to go, and try to recycle the stock dish tops with new rings, if they crash in the pin pressing stage, I will go with new std bore pistons like speed pro hypers.Mild cam,small valve heads,melling pump, windage tray, stock pan,
LD340, eddy 750, , factory style hi stall convertor.
Hopefully will result in a durable SB that will get us by for a few years until the Oregon move.
I considered recycling the "ported" heads from the ill fated predecessor, but the porting job is sort of suspect,intake ports are baby-butt smooth, and IIRC they are supposed to be left ROUGH to help keep the fuel droplets in suspension.
On of my consulting machinists is pretty experienced, and reminded me I may kill all the bottom end torque by going that route, too.
Group thoughts?
Vehicle is 73 challenger w/ TCI 727 (used)
currently 3.91s with 28" tall tires, but in deference to the highways you guys have, will eventually get 2.76s with SG.
Thanks, C