Quote:

I think the consensus is that the Gen III, although maybe not having a pure performance advantage, would have an advantage with all of the electronics over the carbureted brethren. It's been pointed out that they run in separate classes at other events.

Like I said, nothing is in stone yet....so, we're open for the Gen III viewpoint.

We don't want any "outlaw"; nitrous, street cars, though....I can tell you that. But, a pure drag race car that is Gen III powered...let's hear the viewpoint. Maybe it's worth discussing further.

Let's hear it. Ronnie & I are clueless on this stuff....we're real dinosaurs. Educate us.

I suspect neither of your are as much a dinosaur as me but I will humor you

Being an old school Mopar racer I can sympathize with the lack of understanding causing either concern or confusion. However, these are just small block (345-370ci) internal combustion engines, nothing more. Sure, folks are building stroker engines up to 440ci but these are not the norm. You will see some 426's out there but to be honest most of them aren't that much faster than a well built and tuned 5.7 (345). In fact, the 5.7 and 6.1 classes have now been combined at the Modern Hemi events with only a slight minimum weight difference. Another disadvantage these cars have is a 6750rpm transmission rev limit. This is a killer for these small block engines that can easily make power to 8k. Unless you swap out to a 904 or 727 (which isn't permitted in the Gen III classes) you are stuck at shifting at 6700 or the car goes into "limp" mode which requires stopping the car, putting it in neutral or park, restarting and then proceeding down the track - not a great option for 1/4 mile racing....

A Gen III Hemi setup like an old school street stock class (headers, gears, tires, intake) should be able to easily run high 11's low 12's all day.

The neat thing is that there quite a few of these cars out there. Manny owned by folks with old school Mopars too.