Hello everyone,

I have a 71 Charger with a Pertronix ignition system, and an MSD blaster 2 coil. The car was idling and running fine, and then all of the sudden it just immediately died... no stutter, no stumble, it was like someone had reached in and cut the ignition off. When I tried to restart it, I got nothing.

It would crank over fine, and as soon as you let off it would backfire through the carburetor. I tried running a hot wire from the battery to the positive side of the coil (not my idea but it seemed reasonable) and still nothing. No spark to the plugs.

After I took the hot wire off the coil, it began to behave a little differently. It now will crank and crank in the "start" position and when you let off to the "run" you get nothing, but when you turn the switch to the "off" position, as if you are about to take the key out, the engine will jerk and turn a little bit.

Do any of you have any idea what could be causing this? I've got a feeling tonight is gonna be a long night of pouring over wiring diagrams, but any advice would help. Thanks!

1971 Dodge Charger SE 470/727/3.91 Suregrip
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat, 6-speed
1980 Pontiac Trans Am, Y84, WS6
2002 Ram 2500 Cummins/6-speed/2WD/QC
1971 Ford F-350 Ranger