Like the subject title says.

I like a car that handles; I like a car that hooks.

I don't see much track time a the drags anymore for a number of reasons.

So I've been trying to make my next car, (likely my last car), the best balance of the two schools of thought, but this car will be mainly a driver that should be able to drive anywhere.

I have been freshening the body of my 1974 Challenger. It is structure wise the most sound it has been since new. The frame is tied, the 6 point cage was removed, the whole back half of the car has been rebuilt with new steel panels, all structural steel repaired or replaced. A cage could go back into the car if I choose; the steel plate has been welded into the key structure points under the new sheetmetal. At this time I want to avoid a cage.

I believe in the Hotchkis components, but have only chosen the upper control arm and strutbar kits. I am going to reinforce the lower control arms, and likely get the Hotchkis front sway bar. I would like to believe that the chosen components, other an using a front swaybar will help with occasional trips to the drag strip. The front torsion bars are the stock .96 bars that came with my car. I have a mild 440, 727 GV, for the drivetrain.

The rear has a new set of XHD springs that came with the car. I have an e body 8 3/4, dana, and a b body 8 3/4 to choose for the rear axle.
I also have a Dr. Diff 1 1/2" spring relocation kit to use if I choose. I also have a Finelines rear disc break kit. I know the rallye wheels won't fit over the rear brake kit I chose.

I have always had an assortment of wheels and tires for previous cars; ralleys, plain steel with dog dish, and centerlines. I do realize that I may need a 9" set of matching rims and tires for cornering. I'm not really sure how to choose a rim for both the front and rear that can be rotated for tire wear. I will keep a set of dedicated rims and tires for drags.

I thought about the Hotchkis rear springs, but think the XHD's with the optional hole in the Dr. Diff hanger kit may suffice for the level of performance my multiple purpose car needs. A stock rear sway bar or a new Hotchkis will go in the rear. Choice of shocks will have to be determined after ride height is established.

Anyone else trying to build a multi purpose car that can do a little of everything substationally better than stock?

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!