What do you want to do with it?
A pure race carb is easy. A street/strip carb is a PITA.

A carb can only sense air velocity. It can't sense air density. You can tune well for one or the other but it's physically impossible for a carb to be tuned perfectly for both.
A good balance can be found but you really have to know what you're doing and there will always be a sacrifice.

I borrowed a Holley tuned by SDCE and it worked well. Anytime I needed more than the primaries open but less than medium boost it felt flat. There was just a hole in the tuning.
The AFB I had worked great for street use but couldn't keep up under boost. I ended up jetting the secondaries rich and running an additional injector.

Once I went EFI, I couldn't believe I fought with a carb for that long. I will not go blow through again.

If it's a street/strip car, I'd suggest doing what you can now to get you by and saving your money for a decent EFI system. You can get into them for minimal cost if you shop wisely. I bought my controller and many components used off eBag.

If you're building a drag car, have at it with the carb.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon