Quote:

I've got nothing against the Dana...I've used plenty of them over the years, and if I was building a heavy stick car, that would be my first choice.
The discussion here was about the ultimate strength of the 8 3/4 and all I did was point out the most extreme applications for the rear.
I am currently building a twin engine Fuel Altered for myself, and decided to go with an 8 3/4 for a few reasons. With the direct drive/crowerglide combination in this particular car, I don't see shock loading to be a major issue. Also, with all the torque on tap, I don't see this car ever actually hooking up until waaaaay down the track.
Since this thing has two engines, I'm looking to save weight any place I can, and the 60 pound difference will help keep me under my target 2000 pound weight.
If I find that I can't get more than two or three passes out of the 8 3/4 I'll swap over to a Dana. Axles, brakes and whatnot will all swap over, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I can always use the 8 3/4 stuff in one of my street cars, so there's no waste.
Before anybody asks the obvious question..I have absolutely nothing against the 9 inch Ford...other than this car is going to be in MY garage. If I own it, it's going to be 100% Mopar.

Haha!
MY kinda guy!

I have nothing against the Dana rears either, great piece. I'll repeat that I started with a blank piece of paper with my Coupe, and money was no object to me, I went with an 8 3/4 rear too.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY