Quote:

Not to interrupt the John and Tony show....but

I run a Dana for 1 reason: I don't have a trailer.

The strip is an hour and a half drive...if the car ever broke there, the tow bill would probably cost the same as the axle, so I just did the axle and got it over with.

That said, the 8 3/4 held up great for me and took me from 13 flat to low 11s without any issues (other than paranoia setting in).

I've got nothing against the Dana...I've used plenty of them over the years, and if I was building a heavy stick car, that would be my first choice.
The discussion here was about the ultimate strength of the 8 3/4 and all I did was point out the most extreme applications for the rear.
I am currently building a twin engine Fuel Altered for myself, and decided to go with an 8 3/4 for a few reasons. With the direct drive/crowerglide combination in this particular car, I don't see shock loading to be a major issue. Also, with all the torque on tap, I don't see this car ever actually hooking up until waaaaay down the track.
Since this thing has two engines, I'm looking to save weight any place I can, and the 60 pound difference will help keep me under my target 2000 pound weight.
If I find that I can't get more than two or three passes out of the 8 3/4 I'll swap over to a Dana. Axles, brakes and whatnot will all swap over, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I can always use the 8 3/4 stuff in one of my street cars, so there's no waste.
Before anybody asks the obvious question..I have absolutely nothing against the 9 inch Ford...other than this car is going to be in MY garage. If I own it, it's going to be 100% Mopar.

Last edited by Qbird; 08/27/08 02:04 PM.