Quote:

Quote:

the risk is small, but it's there. a diesel runs on higher compression, and you'd think some water wouldnt hurt. i've seen several diesels throw a rod or blow the top off the power assembly, from a leaking water jacket. (emd locomotives) i've also hydro-locked a diesel, trying to crank it, with water in the cylinder. bent a rod, but didnt break it.

i use an empty dish detergent bottle, and just drizzle it, in a really light stream, with the motor at a very high idle. maybe 2000-2500 rpm. you'll know you're adding too much, when the motor starts to bog down, as it fights to compress the water. i also have the car hot from driving before doing this, or you might fill the mufflers with water and crap, helping to rust/clog it.

the gas today is a lot cleaner (some of it's clear, like water, vs the dark orange stuff we used to pump) and as long as your guides arent leaking, and you dont just idle the motor endlessly, it shouldnt be all that dirty. once or twice a year should be fine, if you worry about deposits. if the plugs are clean and dry, i would imagine the rest of the combustion chamber is, as well.

That's the problem, this motor has not been run much besides idling for the past 4 years. There has been no "punching it" so that's why I cam guessing this should be done.

Thanks for the help!

I have seen a running motor bend a rod due to water ingestion As already suggested put new gas in it and drive it for a long trip to warm the oil up and suck out the bad gas that is in the tank. That or drain the tank, put all new fuel in it and then drive it for 50 miles or more I've done all the old school stuff down the carb, a water and alcholol injection system will help clean the combustion chambers if you absolutely want that done One thing you need to remember about all the old school methods, that was when all gasoline had lead in the fuel Lots more deposits in the motor and exhaust sytem then than now, also keep in mind that those motors ran under 180F on a hot day, not like todays motosr runniing EFI and over 200 F to keep them effecient by atomizing the fuel better Don't pour any water, oil or ATF into the carb

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)