Quote:

All of Mopar production cars with the ECU from the factory had ballst resitors, do you think maybe they where engineered that way for a good reason would you take the word of a magazine word geek over a engineer I don't

They also engineered some degree of performance OUT of the engines in the name of "streetability" reliability and to lessen warranty claims.

by your theory, none of us should be changing cams, heads, intake manifolds, etc.

My understanding of the issue, is that the older coils were designed to run on 6-8 volts. this ensured they had enough voltage available to make a hot enough spark while the starter was sucking the battery juice to crank the engine...since your system voltage drops from 12.5 down to 8-ish volts while cranking the engine. but a coil designed to run on 6-8 volts won't last very long when you start feeding it the 14 volts from a running engine with the alternator providing charge.

but on today's newer coils, they've designed them to run on 12-14v allowing you to eliminate the resistor for more volts to the coil, and more volts to your spark plugs.

Following that theory, I bought a new coil, old school orange box, no ballast resistor and proceeded to drive 4,000 street miles in all kinds of weather, over a 5 year period, and not once did I have a problem with the coil or orange box "burning out"

**Photobucket sucks**