Ok, here we go. car is gonna be ready this weekend, (I hope) to shoot primer. Tell me whats wrong by the pic and or read extra info below.

Tests shot the trunk lid. Here are the results. Problems: the one you can see, problem 2 ME (little painting experience), problem 3 the gun?.

start with the equipment. Drip legs on the compressor, filter/water separator 50' downline of compressor, filter on the gun.

The gun is an old craftsman, back in the day it was 200dollars, now it not even the available. The air caps are plastic and sized at 1.6 or 2.2 with a universal needle. Line regulator set at 90 psi gun regulator set at 27psi.

Primer is autobahn high build black 2kprimer 5:1 with no call for reducer. 80* activator.

Ok so I shoot once using the 5:1 mix and the paint came out in big globs badly could not get it smooth. So I quite got some reducer and mixed 5:1:1 in a small batch with the it shoot better but still small globs. Both of those were with the 1.6 tip. Tried the 2.2 tip but I could not get the fluid amount down at all so I went back to 1.6. Also tried bringing air pressure up to 35psi which seemed to help. Tried another small batch after I sanded down between shots; mixed another time at 5:1:1.5 in a slightly bigger batch and shot the top of the trunk lid. This was the best and got good coverage. The vertical surfaces shoot pretty good (the way I think it should) but the horizontal surface was grainy. And oh yah the skunk stripes I painted into it.

Im really happy with the coverage but my painting skills leaves some to be desired. School me please. This pic is after I block sanded with 320, it feels smooth but looks like this.

I think I was to far away on the horizontal and I was shooting at or a degree or two above activator rating.

Oh this is my pinky aprox 1/2" wide.

6758293-0801111748a.jpg (61 downloads)

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....