Quote:

Which one will last longer at the 500hp level? My vote goes to the BB.

The 360 will last longer at the 500hp level. Why? The pistons are 300+ grams lighter, the rods are 150+ grams lighter, the crankshaft is 12 to 13 pounds lighter.

And for the original posters question. Both sb and bb properly set up and at the same weight and the same 500hp, the small block will be the quicker of the two for the same reason that it will last longer, because the lower end rotating parts are lighter, therefore it will accelerate quicker and because the valves and valve train parts are also much lighter, the sm block RPM range will far out extend the RPM range of the big block.

Now you could get some expensive, lightweight parts for the BB but then it will make far more than 500HP.

It is very cheap and easy to make a near stock 500HP 440 with mild porting, cam, and bolt-ons, but it is like a hand grenade with the pin out.

On the other hand it is probably not likely to get 500hp from a near stock 360 with mild porting, cam, and bolt-ons as none ever came factory with any compression, much better chance with a 340, but would be a much more difficult task, [extensive porting] than the big block.

There are some very wicked small blocks that can lay down some unbelievable numbers but if the same effort is applied to a larger c.i. big block it will most definetly out perform the small block. A good example is the 500c.i. prostock engines, Pre--HEMI 99, cause were not talking HEMIS here.

Alot of different views and opinions for a simple post and I see i am very late to this much debated topic.