Quote:

turns out it was the stator in the alternator. when i asked the guy why it took a dump, as it was rewound just 2 years ago, he simply said "too much load on the alternator".

i didn't get a chance to talk to him more, but what causes too much load? sometimes when i have to crank it a bunch to get gas to the carb, the needle on the ammeter hovers just below the first mark on the positive side, but quickly comes back to just above mid line as the battery recharges.

i've never had any indicator that there was too much load on the alternator. besides the MSD box, everything else is stock: am radio, headlights, etc...

any thoughts? i'd rather not burn up another stator in two years time...

Too much load on the alternator... what a load of crap. Sounds like you need a new stator and a new rebuilder.

Unless I saw him actually rewind the stator, I would bet it came out of a box like it does at every other shop in country. Just get a new stator and install it yourself or get a bracket kit for a Denso alternator from a Toyota. http://www.arengineering.com/alternatorbracket/ND_bracket/denso.html Mancini sells these too.

Another option is to adapt an Autolite from a 70's (gasp) Ford. Very dependable alternator. (They used them on Cessna aircraft)

Kevin