Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sinitro, good info. My take on this is to use a matched coil/ballast combo preferably an E coil & maybe one (FBO?) that I believe needs no ballast to get a hot of spark with however much decreased longevity your comfortable w (more power=less life) and a $15 parts house 4 pin ECU to switch it tho the ECU is just a switch it can only switch so much current on/off just like the points it replaced

this pretty much where i'm at right now except i don't know why the OP boiled his coil when he had the matched BR and coil. and why is the voltage/current ok for my MSD ECU without a BR but not ok for a MP ECU?

As mentioned previously..
The MSD box has a 20 degree window for its multiple firing vs. the single firing (0 degree window) of the Mopar box..
The multiple firing puts a higher voltage/current draw on the coil... Also the ballast resistor is more for limiting the current rather than voltage to the coil.
In the earlier days coils, boxes these could not handle as much voltage/current as the later available components..

Just my $0.02..

OMG - it clicked! in reality i'm 'lowering' the ability of my MSD box and coil by using the BR.........