Moparts

MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions

Posted By: StukaJU87

MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:27 PM

'69 b body, 440 w/MP elec ign conversion.

This is my 2nd Blaster and I will not buy another one. Today, while doing some routine checking under the hood I noticed the top of my coil (which IS mounted vertically) had some oil film on it. I took a rag to wipe it off and unplugged the coil wire and the socket is filled with oil.

I do have the MSD ballast installed that folks here reccommended when I asked about using the blaster with the MP electronic conversion. The car is actually running really good, but I know that coil will leave me needing a tow.

I need to replace this coil and I do not want another oil filled blaster. What coil (make, part #, ebay, summit, whatever)would drop in its place for me?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:30 PM

i've heard alot of good things about the Firecore E-coil but to be honest, i've used a Blaster 2 for years and never had a problem.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:32 PM

x2 on the firecore coil

or any coil that is epoxy filled and not oil filled

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:32 PM

Quote:

i've heard alot of good things about the Firecore E-coil but to be honest, i've used a Blaster 2 for years and never had a problem.

Well the first Blaster, I blame myself for running it horizontal. I only ran this one that way for maybe 10 miles before I mounted it vertically.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:35 PM

However, Unless he's running and MSD ign box the firecore coil wont work for him.

I got the impression the OP was using a factory style box and Rick says his coils would burn them up.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:37 PM

Quote:

However, Unless he's running and MSD ign box the firecore coil wont work for him.

I got the impression the OP was using a factory style box and Rick says his coils would burn them up.

Factory style is correct. Orange box at the moment, but I have one of those blue replacements that Ehrinberg was selling sitting in the garage.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:39 PM

oops! i didnt know that

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:42 PM

There are a couple Pertronix epoxy filled coils on ebay. 40,000v, 45000v, different ohm ratings, etc. I have no idea what to buy.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:46 PM

also keep in mind the mounting is different which is why i haven't tried one on my 6 pack setup. i wan't to keep some what of a stock appearance, some what......

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:47 PM

To quote the man himself....

Quote:

No, our CD coil will most likely burn up your Mopar Box. Don Gould at FBO sells a great coil for your Mopar Ignition. Tell him I sent you. Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Here's the whole thread....

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=4#Post6700753

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 08:54 PM

Quote:

To quote the man himself....

Quote:

No, our CD coil will most likely burn up your Mopar Box. Don Gould at FBO sells a great coil for your Mopar Ignition. Tell him I sent you. Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Here's the whole thread....

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=4#Post6700753

i don't understand how??? it's not like the voltage goes through the box........ Not saying either way but i don't see how??

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 09:04 PM

I don't get it either but I'm sure Rick knows his stuff and what he's talking about.

Come to think of it, there's a lot of things I don't get

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 09:07 PM

So......what epoxy filled coil do I need? Seems some of them have different voltage and ohms ratings.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 09:13 PM

I use the pertronix points conversion with the 40,000 volt flame thrower coil.

i have the BR by-passed to give it a full 12 volts to the coil

been 15+ yrs with it in 4-5 engine combos

the MP set up has left me walking too many times,I am a die hard pertronix conversion guy now.

so..no help from me maybe you should swap to a points dist and a conversion set up

I know I have never found the rpm limet yet..it allways throws a rod first

Posted By: therocks

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 11:37 PM

My Blaster is 10 years old.The one in my kids 62 300 was running the MP stuff.Now both are full MSDs and have been in the same amount of time.Never any problems.Rocky
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 11:45 PM

FBO sells a coil that works well with factory ignition. It is even made in the USA...

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 11:54 PM

Quote:

FBO sells a coil that works well with factory ignition. It is even made in the USA...

2 questions on the FBO coil

1) Is there a link to buy it? I looked on their site, saw the coil, but could not find a link to purchase it.

2) Do I use the stock ballast resistor with the FBO coil or the same resistor I am using with the Blaster? (I think .8)

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 06/30/11 11:57 PM

heat is not an issue with an E-coil. you don't need the resistor
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/01/11 03:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2 questions on the FBO coil

1) Is there a link to buy it? I looked on their site, saw the coil, but could not find a link to purchase it.

2) Do I use the stock ballast resistor with the FBO coil or the same resistor I am using with the Blaster? (I think .8)

I would just call him. The hours and phone number are on the website. I use it with a chrome box and matching Mopar ballast resistor.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/01/11 06:58 PM

Quote:

This is my 2nd Blaster and I will not buy another one. Today, while doing some routine checking under the hood I noticed the top of my coil (which IS mounted vertically) had some oil film on it. I took a rag to wipe it off and unplugged the coil wire and the socket is filled with oil.

I do have the MSD ballast installed that folks here reccommended when I asked about using the blaster with the MP electronic conversion. The car is actually running really good, but I know that coil will leave me needing a tow.

I need to replace this coil and I do not want another oil filled blaster. What coil (make, part #, ebay, summit, whatever)would drop in its place for me?

If running the Mopar electronic distributor, box (chrome or orange) and Blaster II coil the proper ballast resistor is 0.25 Ohms (#Mopar Performance 2444641).

Just my $0.02..

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/01/11 11:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If running the Mopar electronic distributor, box (chrome or orange) and Blaster II coil the proper ballast resistor is 0.25 Ohms (#Mopar Performance 2444641).

Just my $0.02..

well, that explains the problem!
Posted By: MY340

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/01/11 11:33 PM

I use a big old ugly yellow Accel super coil.
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 12:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.02..

So you're telling me that the MSD supplied .8v ballast with the Blaster II coil isnt correct/wont work for a MP Chrome box? (came in kit form from MSD)
Please dont tell me that!

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 01:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.02..

So you're telling me that the MSD supplied .8v ballast with the Blaster II coil isnt correct/wont work for a MP Chrome box? (came in kit form from MSD)
Please dont tell me that!

Direct quote from 2009 Mopar Performance Catalog..
Page 118

"Blaster Coils
These high performance Blaster coils are oil-filled.
They feature 100:1 turns ratio, threaded primary stud connection and "socket-style" tower. Designed for high performance street and race applications. Use 1/4 ohm ballast resistor #P2444641 when used with ignition kits P3690426, P3690427, P3690428."

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 04:16 AM

I second the FBO unit. Top shelf for the Mopar Electronic. Sorry, just saw the thread. Call Don..

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 07:08 PM

Quote:

I second the FBO unit. Top shelf for the Mopar Electronic. Sorry, just saw the thread. Call Don..

I have heard good things about Don & FBO but never used their stuff..
We have installed a lot of Mopar & MSD ignition systems, the Mopar system is by far the best value once you curve the distributor and upgrade the box to chrome. In fact we just pulled an MSD system out of a customer's RoadRunner and installed the Mopar..

One thing for sure..
STAY AWAY from the ProComp stuff distributor & box, can be bought for $100 but it is total junk..

Just my $0.02...

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 07:22 PM

I was also running Don's A688 ign kit till the module itself crapped out on the road after 5 years of service. Changed out the coil as well because it was suspect at the time of my module failing.

Now I just have my original chrome box back in there with a blaster II coil & the supplied .8v ballast I would think that the .8 would be OK for the coil & not do any damage....correct??

Ill see if I can pick up a MP .25v unit at Carlisle.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 07:41 PM

eventually it will overheat or flat out burn out

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 08:39 PM

Quote:

I was also running Don's A688 ign kit till the module itself crapped out on the road after 5 years of service. Changed out the coil as well because it was suspect at the time of my module failing.

Now I just have my original chrome box back in there with a blaster II coil & the supplied .8v ballast I would think that the .8 would be OK for the coil & not do any damage....correct??

Ill see if I can pick up a MP .25v unit at Carlisle.

Should run OK...
The higher resistance (Ohms) ballast resistor simply drops the coil voltage slightly more, but 0.25 Ohms is what the speced by Mopar to use. As the Blaster coil can take a higher input voltage then an OE coil.

Just my $0.02...

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 11:03 PM

Thanks....also FWIW the FBO coil also used the .8v MSD ballast & IIRC Don's coils were modeled after the Blaster II coils....

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 11:05 PM

Quote:

eventually it will overheat or flat out burn out

If the higher resistance ballast (.8v) drops the voltage to the coil, how would using that one cause the coil to burn out?

I would think using a lower resistance ballast (.25v) would let more voltage to the coil as well as generate more heat??

PS---sorry to the OP for the thread hijack!!

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 11:14 PM

you're right, i read it wrong! the .8 would fry the coil although i still don't understand why the ECU makes a difference

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

you're right, i read it wrong! the .8 would fry the coil although i still don't understand why the ECU makes a difference

Wait you mean WONT fry the coil right???

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 11:33 PM

sorry - the .8 with MP ECU i'd have to say yes. Mother Mopar says to use a .25 with her box. i use a MSD box with a MSD blaster2 coil and use a .8v. what i don't understand is why the voltage to the coil has anything to do with the ECU.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/02/11 11:56 PM

Increased voltage=increased current flow through the coil primary windings. Those windings are controlled(on and off) by a transistor in the ECU. When coil primary is turned on(by the transistor) the current flows through the coil primary AND the ECU transistor.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 12:03 AM

Quote:

Increased voltage=increased current flow through the coil primary windings. Those windings are controlled(on and off) by a transistor in the ECU. When coil primary is turned on(by the transistor) the current flows through the coil primary AND the ECU transistor.

Got it! so the increased CURRENT could over heat the coil eventually but why didn't cook the box?

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 01:33 AM

I used the MSD .8 ballast as recommended here when I first posted I was going to use a Blaster. I did not know I needed a .25 ballast resistor.

For now, I have found an old used Borg Warner coil in the garage and replaced the .8 ballast with the ballast that came in the Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion kit. Glad I held onto it and the old coil.

Car runs ok like this.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 05:35 AM

Quote:

sorry - the .8 with MP ECU i'd have to say yes. Mother Mopar says to use a .25 with her box. i use a MSD box with a MSD blaster2 coil and use a .8v. what i don't understand is why the voltage to the coil has anything to do with the ECU.

We better clear the air here..
A lower resistance (Ohms) ballast resistor means less voltage drop to the input of the coil which means higher output voltage of the coil..
Since the coil is basically a step-up voltage transformer.

The next major component is the ignition box be it a Mopar box (orange or chrome) or an MSD or a Crane or Mallory.
The pickup within the distributor fires the box which in turn triggers the coil to output its high voltage. An MSD box is designed to trigger 10 degrees before and 10 degrees making a 20 degree window for firing the coil output to the distributor, sending the proper distribution to the designated cylinder.

Another point of the ballast resistor is that under continuous operation it will heat up, its resistance increases which in turn decreases its voltage/current output to the coil slightly. Since the Mopar electronic ignition system were released in 1972 there have been multiple technical advancements of coils with higher output & input voltage capability, ignition boxes and spark plugs.

Even though I am an electronic engineer and hold severaI patents in the electronics category..
For my Mopars I tend to be of the old school, and have had great sucess with the Mopar ignition systems in our street and competition machines. The Mopar system is simple and affordable, making it a good value/performance buy.

If it ain't broke, leave it alone..

Just my $0.02..

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 01:29 PM

let me see if i'm following -
a .2v allows more voltage/current to flow to the coil thus allowing the coil to operate at a higher current level. but what does that have to do with the ECU? the ECU is nothing but a fancy set of points. does the resistor only become a factor to the ECU when starting the car when current/voltage draw is higher? the box operates at 12 volts and i thought the voltage regulator kept that level steady? MY HEAD HURTS!

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 04:13 PM

Quote:

let me see if i'm following -
a .2v allows more voltage/current to flow to the coil thus allowing the coil to operate at a higher current level. but what does that have to do with the ECU? the ECU is nothing but a fancy set of points. does the resistor only become a factor to the ECU when starting the car when current/voltage draw is higher? the box operates at 12 volts and i thought the voltage regulator kept that level steady? MY HEAD HURTS!

The box (ECU) is simply a more advanced "switch" to fire the coil..
The ballast resistor is not a factor in starting it is bypassed..
So the resistor & coil get a full 12V...

In the earlier days there was a 2-part ballast resistor that dropped the voltage to the box but later it was not needed..

Just my $0.02..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 04:59 PM

Sinitro, good info. My take on this is to use a matched coil/ballast combo preferably an E coil & maybe one (FBO?) that I believe needs no ballast to get a hot of spark with however much decreased longevity your comfortable w (more power=less life) and a $15 parts house 4 pin ECU to switch it tho the ECU is just a switch it can only switch so much current on/off just like the points it replaced

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 05:20 PM

Quote:

Sinitro, good info. My take on this is to use a matched coil/ballast combo preferably an E coil & maybe one (FBO?) that I believe needs no ballast to get a hot of spark with however much decreased longevity your comfortable w (more power=less life) and a $15 parts house 4 pin ECU to switch it tho the ECU is just a switch it can only switch so much current on/off just like the points it replaced

this pretty much where i'm at right now except i don't know why the OP boiled his coil when he had the matched BR and coil. and why is the voltage/current ok for my MSD ECU without a BR but not ok for a MP ECU?

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 06:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

this pretty much where i'm at right now except i don't know why the OP boiled his coil when he had the matched BR and coil. and why is the voltage/current ok for my MSD ECU without a BR but not ok for a MP ECU?

As mentioned previously..
The MSD box has a 20 degree window for its multiple firing vs. the single firing (0 degree window) of the Mopar box..
The multiple firing puts a higher voltage/current draw on the coil... Also the ballast resistor is more for limiting the current rather than voltage to the coil.
In the earlier days coils, boxes these could not handle as much voltage/current as the later available components..

Just my $0.02..

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As mentioned previously..
The MSD box has a 20 degree window for its multiple firing vs. the single firing (0 degree window) of the Mopar box..
The multiple firing puts a higher voltage/current draw on the coil... Also the ballast resistor is more for limiting the current rather than voltage to the coil.
In the earlier days coils, boxes these could not handle as much voltage/current as the later available components..

Just my $0.02..

OMG - it clicked! in reality i'm 'lowering' the ability of my MSD box and coil by using the BR.........

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 07:17 PM

Sinitro your 2 cents is really adding up & making me nervous!

Im driving 3 hrs to Carlisle in a few days. I had to recently abandon my FBO A688 ign set up because my module crapped out & let me coast to the side of the road. Hooking up my spare module I carry with me with a ground strap started the car. After this test I wanted to mount the spare module to get home. Mounting it & trying to restart didnt work....now I again had no spark! Took out my spare coil & it fire up & got me home with the spare coil & module.
Got home & retried FBO module....no start. Tried FBO coil again...starts every time.

In closing I now am running my original chrome box with a new Blaster II coil & the supplied .8v ballast (also same ballast supplied with the FBO kit)

In your opinion will this current setup leave me on the side of the road going to Carlisle????

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 08:00 PM

Quote:

Sinitro your 2 cents is really adding up & making me nervous!

Im driving 3 hrs to Carlisle in a few days. I had to recently abandon my FBO A688 ign set up because my module crapped out & let me coast to the side of the road. Hooking up my spare module I carry with me with a ground strap started the car. After this test I wanted to mount the spare module to get home. Mounting it & trying to restart didnt work....now I again had no spark! Took out my spare coil & it fire up & got me home with the spare coil & module.
Got home & retried FBO module....no start. Tried FBO coil again...starts every time.

In closing I now am running my original chrome box with a new Blaster II coil & the supplied .8v ballast (also same ballast supplied with the FBO kit)

In your opinion will this current setup leave me on the side of the road going to Carlisle????

Don't U have AAA...

Running the other ballast resistor is fine...
You may be missing a few KV of spark but the Mopar will run fine..
As I posted previously I like the traditional Mopar setup but prefer the Chrome box vs. the Orange box. The later Orange boxes seem to fail frequently probably due to Mopar sourcing from Nanking...

Just my $0.02...

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/03/11 10:45 PM

Thank you!!! I feel much better now! You can keep the change!
Posted By: 500Stroker

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/04/11 02:40 AM

This MSD is epoxy filled. I started using it a year ago after three oil filled coils (MSD, Mopar and FBO) all failed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8222/

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/04/11 02:31 PM

nice! and it would tuck away under my 6-pac air cleaner like original!
Posted By: 500Stroker

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/04/11 03:23 PM

That's where mine is. The silver sticker peels right off and you have a black stock looking coil.

Re: MSD Blaster is toast, Need Coil suggestions - 07/07/11 12:50 AM

Quote:

This MSD is epoxy filled. I started using it a year ago after three oil filled coils (MSD, Mopar and FBO) all failed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8222/

If I run this MSD 8222 epoxy filled coil, do I still run the ballast resistor(.8) with my orange box?
© 2024 Moparts Forums