The '71 Challenger 440 6 pack I got last year obviously never got driven much after it was restored 20 years ago. Paperwork I got with the car showing repairs done a few years ago to get the car roadworthy mentioned rust in the gas tank, which wasn't repaired then. I don't own a trailer, so unlike the previous owners, I actually need to be able to drive this thing!
I found the fuel pump was bad last weekend and replaced it Saturday, though I need to restore the entire fuel system I think.
Right now there is a fuel line up to the pump, a vapor seperator, and from there to the carbs.
A fuel filter is installed prior to the pump.
I'm trying to figure out what I need to get to do the job, and the shop manual isn't clear on some things:
-Where does the fuel filter go, or is there even supposed to be one, does the seperator act as a fuel filter also?
-There is a nipple on the bottom of the seperator which is capped, I assume a line is attached to it, does it get routed to the gas tank or?
-There is a supposed to be a line coming up the passenger inner fender with a bracket toward the top mounted in a notch in the upper fender, where a rubber hose connects from the line to the breather. I assume this line goes back to the fuel tank?
For my shopping list, I need a new gas tank, full line set (Fine Lines?) their bracket set, rubber hose for the breather/vent line connection, gasket for the filler neck, anything else? I'm hoping to reuse the old sender as it seems to work accurately and I have heard people complaining the new senders you buy never are accurate?