I haven't seen many '70 and later A body cars with 4 speeds AND a console. I remember seeing 67-69 Darts with them, but for some reason the 70 and later models often came without them.
I wanted to put a console in the FrankenDuster and since I couldn't find (Or afford) the twisty bent shifter lever, I modified mine.
2 Hurst shift levers were used. I made an offset to move the lever over 2 3/4 inches to the right. this made the shift lever sit dead center over the hump. I cut the top of the console (A/T shift plate) and put a standard Hurst boot in the hole. I'll need to seal off the gaps around the actual shifter mechanism, but so far, it looks like it will all work out.
Has anyone else done this? I will be posting some pictures soon of this upgrade.
Also, on a different Duster, I want to weld in a modern fuel filler door with a cable operated latch. I'll be looking in junkyards for cars with this sort of feature. I'm also considering a similar setup for the trunk lock. I know this will annoy the purists, but I like the idea of small custom touches. The FrankenDuster has a few NONstock changes. I used 86 camaro Bucket seats reskinned to appear like factory Duster seats. I modified a Cordoba tilt steering column to fit the car too. The door mirrors are from a 78 Camaro and painted black to blend in with the "performance hood paint."
Who ELSE has made subtle custom changes to their classics?