jpilone Offline
master
jpilone  Offline
master

Boca Raton, Florida
What orange peel?

6629742-D2X_0677.jpg (72 downloads)

-Jarrod Pilone
'70 Plymouth RR Convertible with amazing custom paint(Tribute/Recreation/Whateveryouwannacallit)
My Project Thread
Re: Orange Peel. [Re: Boise Chall] #990550
05/12/11 03:17 PM
05/12/11 03:17 PM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline
master
68KillerBee  Offline
master

Missouri
Quote:

It's not a product you can buy !!! The P-A-I-N-T M-A-N-U-F-A-C-T-U-R-E-R puts it in the P-A-I-N-T when the paint is made.
Factory vehicle paint has orange peel in it because the vehicle manufacturer either dips the car body in paint or sprays it quickly then forces it to dry fast by baking it. Either way the paint doesn't have time to flow out or lay flat so it has orange peel.
You can make orange peel less noticeable by putting more material on with each coat, over reducing, using slower hardener for the temp that your spraying in, slamming the paint droplets onto the surface by using more air pressure when spraying, but the only way to get completely rid of it is to wet sand it flat and polish it. Wet sanding is the final process of any quality or showcar paint job like ones found on a Bently, Ferrari, Jaguar, Foose, Codington etc. Call your paint rep or go take classes on how to paint they teach you things like this.

Or take some of the advice here and hang voodoo dolls in your paint booth or use a garden hose to spray it on or turn 3 times to the left the twice to the right then jump up and down 4 times before each coat

It looks like we did a fine job of chasing the OP away and probably left him more confused than when he asked the simple question.. WOOHOO strike one up for the MIDOL militia.

and by the way I might have a little experience painting cars http://www.moparmax.com/features/featurecar/v_5-resurrection-1.html

I like the paint you put on the bumpers

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: Boise Chall] #990551
05/12/11 03:39 PM
05/12/11 03:39 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

WOW That's great now finish it and win enough trophy's with it to get a Magazine interested in it so they want to run a 5 page article on it. Then I can show you my 92 Vette that was in Corvette Enthusiast Magazine in July of 2005. Then My 80 Vette then my current project my 73 Roadrunner or the 70 AAR Cuda show car I did for a friend. Don't show an UN-FINISHED car and try to make people think you know what your doing or your response has Value. Stop complaining about other peoples responses and go finish your car !!!!!

OOOOHHHHH.... big tough guy!!!

My hot rod got a 5 page spread and mention on the cover in Popular Hot Rodding. Mopar Muscle Magazine did a few pages on the car too. Again, it got a mention on the cover and a couple inches of the editor's page. It was used as a background car in a rock video and in the TLC show Rides.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0711phr_1965_plymouth_belvedere/index.html

Did I mention the car has patches of missing paint, holes where the trim was removed, and a beat up hood?

It doesn't take superfine paint to get into a magazine.

I want to hear you talk more about Bentley, Ferrari and such. Have you ever seen one of those cars? I have. We have 7 Bentleys in the body shop at the moment as well as a Rolls-Royce Phantom or two. There are also a few Maseratis lurking about. We're out of Veyrons at the moment and are expecting a load of McLarens in a couple weeks.
Please, tell me more about the premium brands.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Orange Peel. [Re: feets] #990552
05/12/11 03:48 PM
05/12/11 03:48 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

WOW That's great now finish it and win enough trophy's with it to get a Magazine interested in it so they want to run a 5 page article on it. Then I can show you my 92 Vette that was in Corvette Enthusiast Magazine in July of 2005. Then My 80 Vette then my current project my 73 Roadrunner or the 70 AAR Cuda show car I did for a friend. Don't show an UN-FINISHED car and try to make people think you know what your doing or your response has Value. Stop complaining about other peoples responses and go finish your car !!!!!

My hot rod got a 5 page spread and mention on the cover in Popular Hot Rodding. Mopar Muscle Magazine did a few pages on the car too. Again, it got a mention on the cover and a couple inches of the editor's page. It was used as a background car in a rock video and in the TLC show Rides.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0711phr_1965_plymouth_belvedere/index.html

Did I mention the car has partches of missing paint, holes where the trim was removed, and a beat up hood?

Yea and it's got holes all down the sides too!

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: feets] #990553
05/12/11 03:50 PM
05/12/11 03:50 PM
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
C
CUDAJAS Offline
top fuel
CUDAJAS  Offline
top fuel
C

Quote:

Quote:

Did I mention the car has partches of missing paint, holes where the trim was removed, and a beat up hood?

Or trophies, DON'T forget the trophies!!! Sorry, I mean trophy's.

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: cudacam] #990554
05/12/11 03:54 PM
05/12/11 03:54 PM
Bethel Ct
A
AdamR Offline
master
AdamR  Offline
master
A

Bethel Ct
Quote:

Wow! That color looks good on a Cuda. What is it?
nice job.

Its inferno red pearl coat.

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: CUDAJAS] #990555
05/12/11 04:07 PM
05/12/11 04:07 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

It's brought home it's fair share of trophies including best engine and ugliest car.

Yeah, Boise-boy can paint better'n everybody in the whole wide world but can he even come close to my MAD interior skillz?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Orange Peel. [Re: feets] #990556
05/12/11 04:26 PM
05/12/11 04:26 PM
C
CUDAJAS Offline
top fuel
CUDAJAS  Offline
top fuel
C

Quote:

Quote:

It's brought home it's fair share of trophies including best engine and ugliest car.

Yeah, Boise-boy can paint better'n everybody in the whole wide world but can he even come close to my MAD interior skillz?

Wow..I like the...um...well, its the, uh....hmmm.

The shifter is nice...sorta!

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: Boise Chall] #990557
05/12/11 05:32 PM
05/12/11 05:32 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Quote:

It's not a product you can buy !!! The P-A-I-N-T M-A-N-U-F-A-C-T-U-R-E-R puts it in the P-A-I-N-T when the paint is made.
Factory vehicle paint has orange peel in it because the vehicle manufacturer either dips the car body in paint or sprays it quickly then forces it to dry fast by baking it. Either way the paint doesn't have time to flow out or lay flat so it has orange peel.
You can make orange peel less noticeable by putting more material on with each coat, over reducing, using slower hardener for the temp that your spraying in, slamming the paint droplets onto the surface by using more air pressure when spraying, but the only way to get completely rid of it is to wet sand it flat and polish it. Wet sanding is the final process of any quality or showcar paint job like ones found on a Bently, Ferrari, Jaguar, Foose, Codington etc. Call your paint rep or go take classes on how to paint they teach you things like this.

Or take some of the advice here and hang voodoo dolls in your paint booth or use a garden hose to spray it on or turn 3 times to the left the twice to the right then jump up and down 4 times before each coat

It looks like we did a fine job of chasing the OP away and probably left him more confused than when he asked the simple question.. WOOHOO strike one up for the MIDOL militia.

and by the way I might have a little experience painting cars http://www.moparmax.com/features/featurecar/v_5-resurrection-1.html

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: Orange Peel. [Re: racerx] #990558
05/12/11 06:03 PM
05/12/11 06:03 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
[.Can s/s metallic be sanded and recoated?

That is a question that needs to be answered by asking what kind of single stage? How long has it been on? Recoating with what? Sanding to apply clear? Need more info to fully answer this. Tell us more and we will be happy to help you and not chase you away.

corey

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: Orange Peel. [Re: Boise Chall] #990559
05/12/11 06:36 PM
05/12/11 06:36 PM
South Dakota
master
master

South Dakota
Well been thinking of your response. Here lets talk about somethings. I wont even bother going and talking about your claim of "It's not a product you can buy !!! The P-A-I-N-T M-A-N-U-F-A-C-T-U-R-E-R puts it in the P-A-I-N-T when the paint is made." As you seem to not beable to back that claim up with any proof. I am open to hearing/reading your proof. Manufactures have been know to do strange stuff but then again making a car/truck look like sh!t doesn't make sense.

1st your claim about "putting more material on with each coat" Yes in a way more material on will hide some BUT how much are you putting on? If my 1st coat is really bad I adjust the gun to correct that. Learned that 20 years ago. More material will just cause problems.

2nd "over reducing,using slower hardener for the temp that your spraying in" Yes that is true I will give you that. But ever over reduced and had soft spots? Had to repair a scratch and had lifting happen? Better watch out it happens. Oh and before you bash me yes I have had that happen what painter hasn't excepet you.

3rd "slamming the paint droplets onto the surface by using more air pressure when spraying," What gun are you using? How much are you increasing the air pressure because if I read this right by you saying slamming that must mean you are cranking the pressure way up which I know you know this but would make a crap load of over spray which mean that you are putting more in the air than on the car which depending on your booth would mean that it probably is settling back on the surfacer which mean that you will get die back and have to buff the sh!t out of it which mean that in the long run you will have a smooth finish.

4th "Wet sanding is the final process of any quality or showcar paint job like ones found on a Bently, Ferrari, Jaguar, Foose, Codington etc."
Yes they all do do a major scuffing/buffing BUT the undercoat products are treated like they arethe final coat where they more than likely are straining the heck out of the primers/surfacer and sealers,tacking off the panels,sanding everything smooth,using correct reducers and hardners as per the temp and person that is applying them.

5th "Call your paint rep or go take classes on how to paint they teach you things like this." How many classes and schools do you think I have been through in 20 years? Pretty bold statement there.

6th "Or take some of the advice here and hang voodoo dolls in your paint booth or use a garden hose to spray it on or turn 3 times to the left the twice to the right then jump up and down 4 times before each coat" I usually do this but found that the voodoo doll was needing his diaper changed and that the solvents in the paint really made the hose weak and couldn't hold up to my increased air pressure so I could "slamm" the paint on.

7th It looks like we did a fine job of chasing the OP away and probably left him more confused than when he asked the simple question.. WOOHOO strike one up for the MIDOL militia." Sorry for the OP if this confused you and chased you away. Wasn't ment for that. The militia was more concerned in you not getting the incorrect info and being even more confused and left wondering what to do now.

So Boise there ya have it. You see when you post stuff like you did and can't back them up you will get hit by the "militia" Not sure what you been smoking or who p!ssed in your corn flakes but your responses sure make you sound that you are so p!ssed at the world and know everything that honestly it is fun watching and wondering what you are truely saying. If I was not educated and knew what Iwas talking about then why did others join in on questioning you? Oh and one more thing. I had to tell my boss who has been doing this since 1957 about your claim. He just laughed and said some people's kids know everything.

Good day sir

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: Boise Chall] #990560
05/12/11 07:01 PM
05/12/11 07:01 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

If your talking about 2 stage paint ( base coat clear coat)It's a chemical that's added to the paint so when you do a repair it will match the factory paint orange peel. You can wet sand it and polish it and make it smooth as glass. The only way to get around it is a real slow hardener and hose the clear on pretty heavy on each coat. Allow plenty of time between coats so you don't get too many runs but hosing it on you will most likely get some.

So, if the above is true then nobody has to worry about orange peel from any non-factories paint ... House of Color for example - no worries, right ?!?!?

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #990561
05/12/11 07:12 PM
05/12/11 07:12 PM
Boise Idaho
B
Boise Chall Offline
mopar
Boise Chall  Offline
mopar
B

Boise Idaho
Wow this site has gone to sh*t you guys apparently have too much time on your hands. You guys should go to a board that would be more appropriate for your maturity maybe try the " Sponge Bob forum " hahhaha..... Later Girls I'll be back when the grown up are on. I have better things to do than to get in a pissing match with a bunch of grade school girls.... hahhahah

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #990562
05/12/11 07:58 PM
05/12/11 07:58 PM
Boise Idaho
B
Boise Chall Offline
mopar
Boise Chall  Offline
mopar
B

Boise Idaho
Oh what the heck..... here's something for you girls to really cry about.. OH MY GOD IT'S A CHEVY

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: Boise Chall] #990563
05/12/11 08:02 PM
05/12/11 08:02 PM
South Dakota
master
master

South Dakota
well gosh I do have alot to do but felt like being a little girl and tease you you know how little girls pick on boys they like........ dude you got your toes steeped on and got called out on it now you can't back it up. Kinda like the guy who claimed the barn hemi was stolen but then wont say why or what about it. All I am asking is Hey ya got info I want to know. Tell us oh toothless wonder. I mean what are you going to say next. The world is round? If that is the case dang there goes my way of thinking.

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #990564
05/12/11 08:09 PM
05/12/11 08:09 PM
South Dakota
master
master

South Dakota
k so now what? This was taken with an old camera then I took a pic of it on the computer screen at the shop with my cell phone. Just to see what it would look like. You can see the reflection of the shop lights in the screen. Sorry I don't have any pics on the computer to try and show you what I can do.

6630114-charger.jpg (53 downloads)
Last edited by hotairballoonpilot; 05/12/11 08:14 PM.

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #990565
05/12/11 08:10 PM
Badham Co.
Y
Y3 70 BEE Offline
super stock
Y3 70 BEE  Offline
super stock
Y

Badham Co.
Should not show your address like that the cheebbie thiefs may make a visit.

Re: Orange Peel. [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #990566
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
This has gotten too far off topic for me to even consider wasting the time to clean it up and edit it.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Page 2 of 2 1 2