Rochester NY
J
Jer Offline OP
super stock
Jer  Offline OP
super stock
J

Rochester NY
Been a while since I did a complete '73 and later Mopar front end redo. I need it all - inners, outers, uppers, lowers, sleeves, ball joints, bumpers, biscuits...it's a '73 Charger going from an all-out drag car back to a nice street car.

Does anyone make a nice kit using rubber parts? I used to just order up Moog parts, but like others here, some of the parts have been pretty crummy lately. I'm still assuming that the poly parts are going to be a bit harsh and squeak after a while...right? I'll be using poly on the sway bar links, though.

Also, any suggestions for the k-frame isolator biscuits?

Thanks, guys, for your help!

Re: '73 and later front suspension redo questions [Re: Jer] #987013
05/05/11 11:01 PM
05/05/11 11:01 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
Last I checked the highest grade of spicer stuff is the good USA stuff.

Re: '73 and later front suspension redo questions [Re: radar] #987014
05/06/11 12:10 AM
05/06/11 12:10 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I believe firm feel makes solid aluminum K frame biscuts... and would supply the rest of the stuff you need.

Re: '73 and later front suspension redo questions [Re: ahy] #987015
05/06/11 07:32 PM
05/06/11 07:32 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Its been about 9 yrs since I did the front of my wagon (which has the same front suspension as your Charger).

At the time, I went with a 'kit' because I needed everything as quick as possible. The big mistake I made was not asking what specific name was on the parts. The company just claimed 'quality parts'.

Ended up being Taiwanese crap that I ended up changing out for MOOG stuff less than 20K miles later.

I haven't looked at kits since then, but, if you can find one with name brand parts, it might be worth it. Not all kits contain the same parts either. When I was looking, some kits were little more than basics, others had everything from the tierods out. Look closely at what's included. If there's any doubt, piece meal it. There always seems to be a discount code for Rockauto here on this site.

I tried the poly bushings without much success. The lower poly bushings didn't hold the lower control arm in place when the suspension would unload. For example, when making a hard turn, left or right, whichever wheel was unloaded, there would be a loud 'clunk' and the front would feel a bit loose. Making no other changes, not even resetting the alignment, I went back to rubber lower bushings and not only did the noise stop, the car tracked better and felt tighter.

I ran the poly upper bushings for about a year before I ended up going back to rubber there too. What happened was the pass side bushings were getting cooked from the exhaust manifold heat. (Factory) big block cars have a HUGE opening on the passenger side covered by a rubber splash shield. I always ran without the splash shield to allow heat out. The bushings didn't melt, they seemed to get 'grabby'. The only place I have poly now is on the strut rods.

Has anything changed in the world of polys since then? I don't know. I'm just sharing my experiences with them on a car that was being used as a daily driver at the time.

As for solid mounts, I used a discontinued DC cast iron spacer kit on my wagon, but, aluminum spacers are out there now. Cudazappa here on the board sells a kit or, as mentioned, Firm Feel sells them too.

Good luck.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: '73 and later front suspension redo questions [Re: SattyNoCar] #987016
05/07/11 02:51 PM
05/07/11 02:51 PM
APACHE JUNCTION AZ
J
Joesixpack Offline
I Live Here
Joesixpack  Offline
I Live Here
J

APACHE JUNCTION AZ
I have all of the MOOG catalogs and will list the #s for you...if you check on Ebay you can find some of those parts....older production....or I also have sources to obtain.....
UPPER BALL JOINT K772
LOWER BALL JOINT PRESS FIT K7069,THREADED K719
UPPER CONTROL ARM KIT K7058
LOWER ARM BUSHING KIT K7059
STRUT ROD BUSHING KIT K7068 TO 10/19/73 AFTER K7085
IDLER ARM K7067,OR K7066
PITTMAN ARM K7075(MANUAL STEERING)
TIE ROD ENDS INNER ES401L,OUTER ES401R,SLEEVES ES430S