04/19/11 08:24 PM
04/19/11 08:24 PM
New Jersey, USA
J
JeffRacerG Offline OP
JeffRacerG  Offline OP
J

New Jersey, USA
I have a stock 440 electronic ignition distributor. I want to remove the stock parts and install a Pertronix unit. Can it be done? The 1971 440 is going into my 1970 Road Runner that does not have electronic ignition and that is the reason for the change to the distributor.

Re: Pertronix in a 1971 electronic ignition distributor [Re: JeffRacerG] #976540
04/19/11 09:07 PM
04/19/11 09:07 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I want to remove the stock parts and install a Pertronix unit. Can it be done?

yes but The Pertronix conversion requires a dist w minimal side play and tension from the points type rubbing block does wear them excessively & it's 4 decades old. From what I hear Autozone sells a cheap rebuilt points dist (exch) but it would still need to b taken apart (1) to clean/lube/check everything and (2) to ch the springs and slot length (may take multiple tries to get em spot on) esp as you cant set the slot length till you finalize the initial amt. I'd suggest a JY 70's RB dist or get one to your door from the parts for sale ads here on Moparts and take it apart & same thing. Clean it & toss the heavy spring w the long loop and electronic dizzys have way less bushing wear from just the miniscule magnetic pull of the magnet to the reluctor teeth and it's easy to find one w tight bushings but do drive out the roll pin on the lower shaft end & add 1/2" ID flat washers to reduce the end play to near zero. A parts house replacement $15 Mopar 4 pin ECU works great (it's just a switch) and the real power will come from your coil/ballast choice.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth