D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Quote:

I got a chance to look closer today. The stub that the steering column shaft slides onto... Moves in and out by at least 1/8" as it rotates within the freeplay range. I tightened up the adjustment screw, but the slop remains. Zero leaks though. The mounting bolts are tight. No slop in any of the tie rods or center link. I have at least 6 or 7 spare power steering gearboxes here to swap in, but I am pissed that THIS "rebuilt" box cost me around $300 including shipping. (Only 2 states away) Why would it develop so much slop within only 2000 miles? I can't expect any sort of warranty since I put it in in 2003. Still, if factory units held up for 80-100 thousand miles, why should a rebuilt one from a reputable company wear out so quickly?
I think that Steve made a good point. These units may be getting nothing more than a good cleaning and new seals. What a shame.

Like Steve said, give Dick a call.

Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: Kern Dog] #976528
04/24/11 05:42 AM
04/24/11 05:42 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I got a chance to look closer today. The stub that the steering column shaft slides onto... Moves in and out by at least 1/8" as it rotates within the freeplay range. I tightened up the adjustment screw, but the slop remains. Zero leaks though. The mounting bolts are tight. No slop in any of the tie rods or center link. I have at least 6 or 7 spare power steering gearboxes here to swap in, but I am pissed that THIS "rebuilt" box cost me around $300 including shipping. (Only 2 states away) Why would it develop so much slop within only 2000 miles? I can't expect any sort of warranty since I put it in in 2003. Still, if factory units held up for 80-100 thousand miles, why should a rebuilt one from a reputable company wear out so quickly?
I think that Steve made a good point. These units may be getting nothing more than a good cleaning and new seals. What a shame.

I didn't realize you only had 2000 miles on the box. Thats like new. Should be wearing very noticable that soon. Somethings loose or not right.

I'm pretty sure the good rebuilds like Firm Feel get new bearings and bushings too. It's only the gear itself no one makes. I think all other wear items are available. Still, shouldn't be a 2000 mile issue.

Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: autoxcuda] #976529
04/24/11 07:36 AM
04/24/11 07:36 AM
Franklin Co. Illinois
runinonmt Offline
mopar
runinonmt  Offline
mopar

Franklin Co. Illinois
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a chance to look closer today. The stub that the steering column shaft slides onto... Moves in and out by at least 1/8" as it rotates within the freeplay range. I tightened up the adjustment screw, but the slop remains.

If I understand you correctly it seems your worm bearings are out of adjustment,probably because the adjusting nut lock was loose or missing. That would also explain why it was originally tight. For the adjustment check the FSM or a service manual
Hope this helps,
Ron

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on Jackson Browne-Running On Empty
Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: runinonmt] #976530
04/24/11 02:36 PM
04/24/11 02:36 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Yesterday was the first time that I had ever touched the adjustment nut and screw. The nut was VERY tight and the access was limited. I had to use a ratchet with a cheater bar since I had no leverage when using a stubby wrench. I was able to tighten the screw by almost a 1/4 of a turn!

Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: Kern Dog] #976531
04/25/11 12:53 PM
04/25/11 12:53 PM
Houston Texas
PAINT IT BLACK Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder
PAINT IT BLACK  Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder

Houston Texas
I trust Firm Feel's rebuilds. They're not going to use a worn gear when replacing bushings, bearings and seals. Call them. They've always been a HUGE help when I've needed it.

Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: PAINT IT BLACK] #976532
04/25/11 07:55 PM
04/25/11 07:55 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
The problem that I have with calling them is that I dont want to be grouped in with the idiots that expect something for nothing. I have seen and read about too many jerks that try to return something 10 years later without a reciept, cussing and yelling about bad service. I can't expect them to fix the box for free, and I can't afford to spend the money for another rebuild, at least not until I sell some parts or a car.

Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: Kern Dog] #976533
04/25/11 09:18 PM
04/25/11 09:18 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

The problem that I have with calling them is that I dont want to be grouped in with the idiots that expect something for nothing. I have seen and read about too many jerks that try to return something 10 years later without a reciept, cussing and yelling about bad service. I can't expect them to fix the box for free, and I can't afford to spend the money for another rebuild, at least not until I sell some parts or a car.

are you really that afraid to make a simple phone call and ask for some help? your asking for help here, what's the difference other than sitting quietly and safely behind a computer.
for pete's sake, tell them the problem your having and see what they say. i promise they won't bite. heck, they might even tell you what's wrong or head you in the right direction.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: PAINT IT BLACK] #976534
04/27/11 06:53 PM
04/27/11 06:53 PM
Montreal Quebec
STROKIE Offline
enthusiast
STROKIE  Offline
enthusiast

Montreal Quebec
Quote:

I trust Firm Feel's rebuilds. They're not going to use a worn gear when replacing bushings, bearings and seals. Call them. They've always been a HUGE help when I've needed it.

I use Firm Feel's box stage one...
Try-it you won't regret it.

Re: Firm Feel steering box questions... [Re: STROKIE] #976535
04/27/11 07:02 PM
04/27/11 07:02 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

I use Firm Feel's box stage one...
Try-it you won't regret it.

Did you read the original post? I HAVE a rebuilt steering box already. It is a stage three because the standard overboosted Mopar settings are far too mild for me. Mine worked fine for the first few hundred miles, now it is sloppy. A stage one is only a fractio firmer than a Police or taxi unit. Thanks anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2