Mount Airy, Maryland
S
scrag Offline OP
mopar
scrag  Offline OP
mopar
S

Mount Airy, Maryland
I am switching from Power to Manual Brakes on a 70 Cuda. Disks up front Drums on the rear. I have the plate and rod from manual brake assembly - my question concerns the Master Cylinder. I was just going to order a non power master cylinder and call it good - then thought I should do a self idiot check and make sure I am not dorking this up. So will this work or am I off base somewhere?

Re: Switching from Power to Manual Brakes [Re: scrag] #953257
03/18/11 05:47 PM
03/18/11 05:47 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
on my 68Dart I went manual with 73 disc brakes

I used the MP 4 bolt to 2 bolt alum adaptor plate with a 79 RC alum 2 bolt MC

IMHO the 2 bolt alum MC works better than the 5-6 rebuilt 4 bolt MC I had been useing

I did the same thing on my 88 truck,made an alum plate with 4 bolt holes to bolt it to the firewall and 2 holes for the 2 bolt alum MC that was on my vac booster

the alum 2 bolt is the same for power or manual IIRC

you need to do the homework on the MC bore size and the rear wheel cyl bore size to get the pedel feel you want with it

I had the big bore MC with big bore wheel cyls to give a good firm pedel,I liked it hard to mash myself and got used to them right off the bat

my car stoped as fast as it went after the swap with out locking the tires up on a hard panic stop

Re: Switching from Power to Manual Brakes [Re: scratchnfotraction] #953258
03/18/11 07:11 PM
03/18/11 07:11 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
build or buy the 4 bolt to 2 bolt alum adapter plate/select a M/C of the correct bore size to give you the amt of pedal force you are comfortable w & the large one (1&1/8") is too much and there are only several sizes to choose from. Make sure the piston recess has the wide shallow groove for the piece of neoprene retainer to lock into (PB ones have a tapered recess w no groove like the inside of a sewing thimble) and get an iron one (rebuilt ones have reported probs but I've had good luck w em) or Dr Diff (on here) can sell you an alum one w several diff bore sizes to choose from if you want to loose some weight. A piece of vacuum line the same length as the machined recess on the end of the pushrod works fine & is identical to an OE one ex for a thin groove down the length of OE ones which does not affect anything afaik & is prob a machining/manufacturing deal of some sort

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Switching from Power to Manual Brakes [Re: scrag] #953259
03/18/11 10:32 PM
03/18/11 10:32 PM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
did same on my challenger, used a 73 challenger manual disk master cylinder.

Quote:

I am switching from Power to Manual Brakes on a 70 Cuda. Disks up front Drums on the rear. I have the plate and rod from manual brake assembly - my question concerns the Master Cylinder. I was just going to order a non power master cylinder and call it good - then thought I should do a self idiot check and make sure I am not dorking this up. So will this work or am I off base somewhere?