South-east Mn
B
blaze Offline OP
super stock
blaze  Offline OP
super stock
B

South-east Mn
If I need to use an extension on a torque wrench, how much to compensate and/or adjust?

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: blaze] #95320
07/27/08 08:56 AM
07/27/08 08:56 AM
own private Idaho
N
ngpSatellite Offline
super stock
ngpSatellite  Offline
super stock
N

own private Idaho
none

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: blaze] #95321
07/27/08 09:21 AM
07/27/08 09:21 AM
New Mexico
UCUDANT Offline
Troll Hunter
UCUDANT  Offline
Troll Hunter

New Mexico

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: UCUDANT] #95322
07/27/08 09:50 AM
07/27/08 09:50 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
a 3" C to C extension onto a 12" C to C torque wrench would increase your leverage by 25% so reduce your reading by that amount.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: RapidRobert] #95323
07/27/08 01:33 PM
07/27/08 01:33 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I do not think he's talking about extending horizontally, just vertically. If it's vertical, no adjustment is needed. If it is indeed horizontal then yes it would need recalculating.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: RapidRobert] #95324
07/27/08 03:57 PM
07/27/08 03:57 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Overpriced Housing Central
Quote:

a 3" C to C extension onto a 12" C to C torque wrench would increase your leverage by 25% so reduce your reading by that amount.

????

Extending the length of a wrench (lever) might reduce the effort required to apply the required force. I wouldn't change a setting from say 60 ft/lb to 45 ft/lb because the lever was longer.

The fastener doesn't know the difference between a 12" or 12' torque wrench. Applied force at the fastener should not change.

Putting a 3" socket extension won't change your values as long as you remain consistent to the fastener center.

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: RobX4406] #95325
07/27/08 11:56 PM
07/27/08 11:56 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Rob after I read your post I called an acquaintence who is a retired university of Nebraska professor(I forget what field) & he stated that with an extension you would indeed need to reduce the reading on the wrench but after thinking about it some more if you apply a certain amt of torque on that lever you would have the same amt of force all along it's length no matter how long it is. So I think you are right. So much for the value of education huh. Thank you for the enlightenment

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: RapidRobert] #95326
07/28/08 05:57 AM
07/28/08 05:57 AM
South-east Mn
B
blaze Offline OP
super stock
blaze  Offline OP
super stock
B

South-east Mn
Thank-you for all the replies

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: blaze] #95327
07/28/08 07:33 AM
07/28/08 07:33 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
it would depend on where the extension is.

if you simply put a pipe over the handle to make it longer, now in order to crank off 75 ft/lbs to the fastener, it will only take you 25 lbs of effort instead of 50.

if you somehow managed to put an extension on the head of the wrench, picture an extended crows foot, then your 75 ft/lbs at the head of the torque wrench is going to be multiplied by the length of your extension...but I don't see that as realistic, because I've never seen such an extension, nor do I know what you would use it for!

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: 70Cuda383] #95328
07/28/08 09:53 AM
07/28/08 09:53 AM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass
Quote:

if you somehow managed to put an extension on the head of the wrench, picture an extended crows foot, then your 75 ft/lbs at the head of the torque wrench is going to be multiplied by the length of your extension...but I don't see that as realistic, because I've never seen such an extension, nor do I know what you would use it for!

Over the years I have done this on a number of occasions because the fastner was in a location I could not get the head of the torque wrench onto. I have a bunch of old wrenches with sockets welded to them just for this.

Anyway, if you put a 1 ft extension straight off the end of a torque wrench and you measure 75 ft-lbs on the wrench you are apply 150 ft-lbs to the fastener.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/
Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: 70Cuda383] #95329
07/28/08 10:16 AM
07/28/08 10:16 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

it would depend on where the extension is.

if you simply put a pipe over the handle to make it longer, now in order to crank off 75 ft/lbs to the fastener, it will only take you 25 lbs of effort instead of 50. YES THE BASIC LEVERAGE PRINCIPLE

THERE IS SUCH AN ANIMAL ITS ACTUALLY AN EXTENDED CROWS FOOT MADE TO EXTEND THE TORQUE WRENCH INTO TIGHT SPACES WHERE THE BIG HEAD OF THE TW WONT REACH LIKE SEVERAL INTAKE MANIFOLD BOLTS ON CERTAIN ENGINES/INTAKES.NOW IF I CRANKED A CERTAIN AMT OF TORQUE AT THE END OF THE LEVER ON MY END TO WHERE I GOT A 100 LBS READING ON THE TW THAT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS LEVER & IF I HAD A LONGER LEVER ON MY END IT WOULD TAKE LESS EFFORT THE LONGER THE LEVER(THE LEVERAGE PRICIPLE) TO GET TO THAT 100LB READING ON THE TW(IN THE MIDDLE) BUT ONCE THERE(AT THAT EXACT POINT) WOULDN'T THE AMOUNT OF BENDING FORCE(torque)BE THE SAME ALL ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE LEVER FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER FROM MY END TO THE END OF THE CROWS FOOT?. I GOTTA KNOW ON THIS BOTH FOR MY KNOWLEDGE & I WILL BE SEEING THIS PROFESSOR AGAIN SOON

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: dgc333] #95330
07/28/08 10:23 AM
07/28/08 10:23 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

Anyway, if you put a 1 ft extension straight off the end of a torque wrench and you measure 75 ft-lbs on the wrench you are apply 150 ft-lbs to the fastener.

It's called ft-lbs because thats how much weight in lbs is being applied 1 foot from the fastener.

Lets say for example that you don't have a torque wrench, just a 12 inch ratchet. You could bring out your bathroom scale and stand on it while tightening the fastener. However much of your weight is not on the scale, is on your 12 inch ratchet. Ft-lbs

If your ratchet is twice as long, you'll need 1/2 the weight.

That's the way physics work.

Using a crows foot type extension is in no way different than adding a cheater bar to make the handle longer. Either way, you're adding distance between the fastener and the force (your hand).

You can prove this to yourself by using your torque wrench with a long cheater bar on it to tighten a fastener to any set amount. Then remove the cheater bar and tighten the fastener to that same amount. If the fastener is already tight that would mean the cheater bar did not make a difference. If the fastener has bit to go before it's tight, then the cheater bar Does make a difference.

Another thing that concerns me is an extension between the ratchet and the socket. The length and diameter of this type of extension can make a difference. It will twist like the torsion bars on our mopars. How much of my ft-lbs applied force are absorbed by the twisting motion of this type of extension? The absorbed amount is not applied to the fastener.

Tav

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: cataclysm80] #95331
07/28/08 10:44 AM
07/28/08 10:44 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Another thing that concerns me is an extension between the ratchet and the socket. The length and diameter of this type of extension can make a difference. It will twist like the torsion bars on our mopars. How much of my ft-lbs applied force are absorbed by the twisting motion of this type of extension? The absorbed amount is not applied to the fastener.Tav

YES BUT ONCE YOU ARE AT THAT EXACT POINT(NOT MOVING THE LEVER) BUT HOLDING IT & MAINTAINING THE TENSION AT THAT POINT WOULDN'T THE AMT OF TORQUE THAT IS APPLIED BE THE SAME ALL ALONG THE LEVER FROM END TO END?. SO IF THE TW IS READING 100 WOULDN'T 100 BE APPLIED AT THE END OF THE CROWS FOOT?

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: cataclysm80] #95332
07/28/08 11:59 AM
07/28/08 11:59 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Using a crows foot type extension is in no way different than adding a cheater bar to make the handle longer. Either way, you're adding distance between the fastener and the force (your hand).Tav

In the context of this discussion, this statement is NOT TRUE. You are applying X amount of force, as read on a gauge, or activating a calibrated "snap." When you add a crows foot, You CHANGE the accuracy of the gauge or snap. When you add a pipe to the handle, you do NOT change the accuracy

Quote:

Another thing that concerns me is an extension between the ratchet and the socket. The length and diameter of this type of extension can make a difference. It will twist like the torsion bars on our mopars. How much of my ft-lbs applied force are absorbed by the twisting motion of this type of extension? The absorbed amount is not applied to the fastener.Tav

This statement is ALSO not true, unless you are talking about an impact wrench, in which case a "rubbery" extension will indeed absorb torque. If you were to take something--like a small diameter torsion bar, and two identical torque wrenches, clamp one wrench at one end, and apply X amount of force with the other torgue wrench, you will find that REGARDLESS of stretch or twist in the torsion bar, the two wrenches will read THE SAME torque on the gauges.

Re: Torque Wrencch question #95333
07/28/08 12:21 PM
07/28/08 12:21 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
440SIXPACK Can I inform this prof that he is full of it & that all of his higher education was a waste

Re: Torque Wrencch question #95334
07/28/08 12:25 PM
07/28/08 12:25 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

This statement is ALSO not true, unless you are talking about an impact wrench, in which case a "rubbery" extension will indeed absorb torque. If you were to take something--like a small diameter torsion bar, and two identical torque wrenches, clamp one wrench at one end, and apply X amount of force with the other torgue wrench, you will find that REGARDLESS of stretch or twist in the torsion bar, the two wrenches will read THE SAME torque on the gauges.

So then, as far as the extension twisting and absorbing force, it will only affect things if...

1. The torque level you're trying to reach is less than what the extension will absorb. Example : if the twisting motion of your extension will absorb 20 inch pounds, then you couldn't use it to tighten something to 15 inch pounds. Once you get to 20 inch pounds and the extension stops twisting, then you'll have 20 inch pounds applied to the fastener. You could only use that extension to torque amounts higher than 20 inch pounds. In all practicality the amount of force absorbed by a twisting extension is probably negligible.

2. The torque level your trying to reach exceeds the breaking point of your extension. Example: Using a 1/4 inch drive extension to torque down your main caps will twist it right in two!

Tav

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: RapidRobert] #95335
07/28/08 12:27 PM
07/28/08 12:27 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

440SIXPACK Can I inform this prof that he is full of it & that all of his higher education was a waste

Nope, sorry everything else still holds true.

Tav

Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: cataclysm80] #95336
07/28/08 04:10 PM
07/28/08 04:10 PM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

It's called ft-lbs because thats how much weight in lbs is being applied 1 foot from the fastener.

Lets say for example that you don't have a torque wrench, just a 12 inch ratchet. You could bring out your bathroom scale and stand on it while tightening the fastener. However much of your weight is not on the scale, is on your 12 inch ratchet. Ft-lbs

If your ratchet is twice as long, you'll need 1/2 the weight.

That's the way physics work.

Using a crows foot type extension is in no way different than adding a cheater bar to make the handle longer. Either way, you're adding distance between the fastener and the force (your hand).

You can prove this to yourself by using your torque wrench with a long cheater bar on it to tighten a fastener to any set amount. Then remove the cheater bar and tighten the fastener to that same amount. If the fastener is already tight that would mean the cheater bar did not make a difference. If the fastener has bit to go before it's tight, then the cheater bar Does make a difference.

Another thing that concerns me is an extension between the ratchet and the socket. The length and diameter of this type of extension can make a difference. It will twist like the torsion bars on our mopars. How much of my ft-lbs applied force are absorbed by the twisting motion of this type of extension? The absorbed amount is not applied to the fastener.

Tav

Tav, sounds like you are saying exactly what I said but are disagreeing. If you put a 1 foot cheater bar on the handle of a torque wrench and apply force until the wrench reads 75 ft-lbs it takes 1/2 the strenght in your arm than if you didn't use the cheater bar (thats why we call them cheater bars, more torque with less force). But if you put a 1 foot extension on the other end and pulled on the torque wrench until it reads 75 ft-lbs you have doubled the moment arm so you have doubled the torque applied to the fastner or 150 ft-lbs. In this case your arm will feel the same preceived amount of effort as if you didn't have the extension beacuse you aren't providing leverage to the measurement.

Take your ratchet example. With the ratchet horizontal and you hang a 75 lb weight 1 foot along the handle from the center of the socket you have 75 * 1 or 75 ft-lbs. Now move that same 75 lb weight to 2 feet along the handle from the socket and you have 75 * 2 or 150 ft-lbs.

When it comes to a ratchet extension between the socket and torque wrench. There is no loss of torque between the wrench and the socket. You may have to physically move the wrench more depending on the diameter and length of the extension to get to a give torque reading but no torque is lost along the length of the extension.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/
Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: dgc333] #95337
07/28/08 05:45 PM
07/28/08 05:45 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I can't take it anymore. A picture is work 1K words.

4581684-torquescan.jpg (218 downloads)

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Torque Wrencch question [Re: 6PakBee] #95338
07/28/08 06:08 PM
07/28/08 06:08 PM
Mass
dgc333 Offline
pro stock
dgc333  Offline
pro stock

Mass
Roger,
Thanks for posting the picture. Sometimes my explanations aren't as clear to everyone else as they are o me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2