03/07/11 01:36 PM
03/07/11 01:36 PM
illinois usa
K
king coronet Offline OP
king coronet  Offline OP
K

illinois usa
i will be ready to prime a buddies amx in about a week and was wondering if anyone has used shopline primer (jp202)? heard good and bad.just wondering how it compares to k36 ?

Re: any painters out there? [Re: king coronet] #945277
03/07/11 11:20 PM
03/07/11 11:20 PM
Northern Pa
G
GLR Offline
master
GLR  Offline
master
G

Northern Pa
K36 is a better product..and PPG stuff is more money...
The Napa Shop line stuff is o.k. but I don't know how it holds up over time. I have used one of there shop line promers , don't remember which one..sorry but it seamed to work just fine.

Re: any painters out there? [Re: GLR] #945278
03/08/11 10:24 AM
03/08/11 10:24 AM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
I never ever buy the cheap stuff when painting a car. You do want it to last a lifetime right? Use the best and have the peace of mind to know it will never lift and will always look good.
If it fails guess who gets to do it over?????
Do it once and do it right.

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: any painters out there? [Re: king coronet] #945279
03/08/11 03:29 PM
03/08/11 03:29 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
JP 202 is just fine. I use it all the time. What you wont hear is this. If it was not a good product PPG would not sell it. K36 is a great product too but if you aren't a certified PPG painter and your shop is then the warranty you are paying for buying the k36 is out the window. I am a master certified PPG painter and have been spraying PPG products for the last 20 years. There are shopline producst that I wont use like the clears but the undercoats I have no problems with them and have been using 202 since shopline came out ans have never had problems with it. The key is that you do everything as the p sheet says and don't cut corners. Oh and as far as the shopline and omni products go. They are the same. Just the shopline is only sold at a platnium jobber where the omni is sold at places like a local parts store that also sells other brands. I remember when omni 1st came out. We use to use a product called dx84 enhancer. well I ordered up the omni product like it and it came in the same bottle,smelled the same and had the same ratio for mixing it into the paint. I asked my jobber and he just grinned and said I plead the 5th.

Hope that works.
corey

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: any painters out there? [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #945280
03/08/11 04:01 PM
03/08/11 04:01 PM
O
OLD318 Offline
super stock
OLD318  Offline
super stock
O

Quote:

JP 202 is just fine. I use it all the time. What you wont hear is this. If it was not a good product PPG would not sell it. K36 is a great product too but if you aren't a certified PPG painter and your shop is then the warranty you are paying for buying the k36 is out the window. I am a master certified PPG painter and have been spraying PPG products for the last 20 years. There are shopline producst that I wont use like the clears but the undercoats I have no problems with them and have been using 202 since shopline came out ans have never had problems with it. The key is that you do everything as the p sheet says and don't cut corners. Oh and as far as the shopline and omni products go. They are the same. Just the shopline is only sold at a platnium jobber where the omni is sold at places like a local parts store that also sells other brands. I remember when omni 1st came out. We use to use a product called dx84 enhancer. well I ordered up the omni product like it and it came in the same bottle,smelled the same and had the same ratio for mixing it into the paint. I asked my jobber and he just grinned and said I plead the 5th.

Hope that works.
corey

I 100% agree with the above statement.
I have sprayed PPG for years...
The Shopline/Omni undercoats are excellent products
WHEN USED PROPERLY...
They are also reasonable priced for the DIY crowd.

Read the P-Sheets... Follow the P-Sheets LIVE THE P-SHEETS!
You'll be fine!

They are free on line at www.ppgrefinish.com

Best of luck to you!

Re: any painters out there? [Re: OLD318] #945281
03/08/11 07:25 PM
03/08/11 07:25 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
been thinking of my post and felt I should add some info. Here is what I normally use for just about everything we do at the shop.

Metal stripped down to bare metal either by sandblasting or mechanical means. I wont use paint stripper unless I absolutely need to. Stopped using soda but thats mainly because noone around here is doing that anymore. The only time we don't strip is if it is a late model or it is clearly doesn't warrant it.

I then will prime with either the DP primers or the shopline epoxies depending on the car/truck or if plastic work was done before or will need to be after. (right now I am doing a 66 chevy truck box that was primed with DP 50LF and then doing the plastic work ontop of the epoxy after it was sanded with 36 grit 1st. Did that so I can take my time and not worry about flash rust as the inside was sandblasted.

I follow that up with the JP 202 either at the 4:1:1 or 4:1 ratio. Do my blocking and repriming as needed.

Once ready for painting I will use either DP's mixed as a sealer or use the V seal series sealers(I really like how they lay out but they are expensive)

I will either do DBC basecoat or concept depending on the color.

For clear i will use either 2002 clear or dc 3000 clear or transtar euro classic or euro classic quick for clears.

I have not had any issues with any of these products. I know them inside and out and know what I can and can't do with them. The big issue is that we keep our shop at an easy 70 plus during the winter months where as there are places out there that don't and they are the ones with problems. Mainly because they are trapping solvent and not getting a full cure with thier products. I have had alot of differnt jobbers come in our shop and that they always say we are the warmest shop around. They also feel that is a big plus in why our system is working. Be it my PPG or my Transtar jobber.

Good luck. Just put an epoxy down 1st on clean warm metal and wait the needed time before you put the 202 on and you will be fine.

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: any painters out there? [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #945282
03/11/11 09:39 PM
03/11/11 09:39 PM
Washington, Pa
R
runner12 Offline
enthusiast
runner12  Offline
enthusiast
R

Washington, Pa
If used properly. thats a true statement. I work for a PPG distributor we also sell dupont and matrix and ill tell you there alot of good products it depends on who wants what and what you want to spend . there are a lot of products to fit alot of needs. do your home work and ask for tech sheets.also there are a ton of new products. thanks Nick