Print Thread
will a dodge 4 spd hook up to a magnum engine? #937551
02/25/11 08:58 PM
02/25/11 08:58 PM
CANADA B.C.
PROPANEPOWER Offline OP
PROPANEPOWER  Offline OP

CANADA B.C.
just curios if a 4spd will connect to a 92 318 engine? I have a line on a big block 833 4spd i heard their stronger then small block ones. Would this work if so id probably have to change bell housings and maybe the input shaft any help much appreciated.

Re: will a dodge 4 spd hook up to a magnum engine? [Re: PROPANEPOWER] #937552
02/25/11 10:48 PM
02/25/11 10:48 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
The factory put them behind LA small blocks so yes it will bolt up. Well sort of. Often times automatic trans engines didn't have the pilot hole in the crankshaft for the transmission input shaft drilled deep enough or finished for a bushing. If the hole in the back of your crankshaft is deep enough I've heard that NAPA has a bushing that should work. Otherwise you can get a late model roller bearing that fits in the torque converter register and so long as the hole is deep enough it should work. If necessary you can cut the tip of the input shaft and bevel the edges. The standard small block 4-speed bellhousing will bolt up to your 318. Next rub; 4-speeds came with different size input bearing retainers. The bearing retainer on your transmission must fit the hole in the bellhousing. I would check this before going any further. Both Brewer's & Passion are excellent sources for parts and technical info. Lastly you will need a flywheel balanced for a magnum engine. Good luck.